Determining number of branch cuts of a function

In summary, the conversation discusses the function f(q) and its potential branch cuts. The function involves real-valued vectors a and b, a real positive infinitesimal epsilon, and the Minkowski bilinear form. The speaker is unsure how to determine if there are branch cuts and mentions the use of hyperspherical polars but is unsure due to multiple dot products in the denominator.
muppet
Hi all,

I've reason to believe that the function
[tex]
f(q)=\int\frac{d^{4+n} k}{(2\pi)^4}\frac{1}{(a \cdot k -i \epsilon) (b \cdot k -i \epsilon) (k^2 -i \epsilon) ((q-k)^2-i\epsilon)}
[/tex]
where a, b are real -valued 4+n component vectors; epsilon is real, positive and infinitesmal, and taken to zero at the end of the calculation; and the dot denotes contraction of the vectors with the Minkowski bilinear form defined by [tex]Diag(-1,1,1,1)[/tex], has two branch cuts. (As a physicist, I want to think of q and k as real (four+n)-component vectors as well, but I think it's necessary to extend these to allow to complex values.)

How can I go about finding out whether or not this is true? There's no obvious fractional exponents; my instinct is to switch to hyperspherical polars and see whether I get logarithms, but I'm thwarted by the fact that I have multiple dot products in the denominator, and don't know how to define the angles that would arise consistently.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, after a little further thought I think it's only one branch cut...

1. What is the purpose of determining the number of branch cuts of a function?

The number of branch cuts of a function is important in understanding the behavior of the function. It helps in identifying the discontinuities and singularities of the function, which can affect its overall properties and behavior.

2. How do you determine the number of branch cuts of a function?

The number of branch cuts can be determined by analyzing the complex plane and identifying the points where the function is not analytic. These points can be found by looking at the roots and poles of the function, as well as the behavior near these points.

3. Can a function have more than one branch cut?

Yes, a function can have multiple branch cuts. The number of branch cuts depends on the complexity and behavior of the function. Some functions may have no branch cuts, while others may have multiple branch cuts.

4. How does the number of branch cuts affect the contour integral of a function?

The number of branch cuts can affect the contour integral of a function by changing the path of integration. Branch cuts can cause the function to be multivalued, which can lead to different values for the contour integral depending on the chosen path of integration.

5. Are there any techniques for simplifying complex functions with multiple branch cuts?

Yes, there are techniques such as branch cut integration and Riemann surfaces that can help simplify complex functions with multiple branch cuts. These techniques involve representing the function in a higher dimensional space, which can make the analysis and computation easier.