Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Determining overtones of sound waves in a pip

1. Apr 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Standing sound waves are produced in a pipe that is 1.60 {\rm m} long. 1) the pipe is closed at the left end and open at the right end , determine the locations along the pipe (measured from the left end) of the displacement nodes for the first overtone. 2) If the pipe is closed at the left end and open at the right end , determine the locations along the pipe (measured from the left end) of the displacement nodes for the second overtone.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the first four questions to this set regarding pipes opened at both ends, but can't figure this out. Does anyone have an easy solution? I need to know how to do this for my test. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2010 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Re: Pipes

In the closed pipe, during resonance, always anti node appears on the open end and node appears at the closed end. Can you find out the number of nodes between the extreme ends during first and second over tones?

4. Apr 15, 2010 #3
    Re: Pipes

Can you explain overtones?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook