1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Precisely Which Angles of a Triangle Are Congruent

1. Sep 20, 2015 #1
    Hello,

Suppose that I have two triangles ##\bigtriangleup ABC## and ##\bigtriangleup XYZ## that are known to be congruent by the side-side-side axiom, from which it follows that the parts are also congruent, such as the angles. My question is, how do I determine which of the three angles of ##\bigtriangleup ABC## is congruent to ∠ A, for example? Visually, it is clear that ##\angle A \cong X##, but I am having difficulty justifying this? Do I perform isometries until the vertices align, and then I can infer precisely which angles of ##\bigtriangleup ABC## are congruent to ##\bigtriangleup ABC##?

congruent triangles.png

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I didn't know the side-side-side property was an axiom? It can definitely be proven! (Well, I suppose one could always make it an axiom, but I don't see the benefits in that).

Anyway, if side a and side b are congruent to side a' and side b', then the angle between ab is congruent to the angle between a'b'. This should answer your question.

4. Sep 21, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since you say you know that side BC, opposite to angle A is congruent to side YZ, opposite to angle X then it follows that angle A is congruent to angle X.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook