Determining pressure in Interstellar space

In summary, interstellar space is filled with a very low density of hydrogen atoms (H, not H2) at a number density of 1 atom/cm3 and a temperature of 3 K. Using the formula PV = nRT, the pressure in interstellar space can be estimated to be 4.14x10-17 Pa. However, when trying to find the root-mean-square velocity using the formula Vrms = sqrt(3KbT / m), there may be some errors in the calculation as the expected velocity should be very slow.
pdonovan

Homework Statement

Interstellar space, far from any stars, is filled with a very low density of hydrogen atoms (H, not H2). The number density is about 1atom / cm3 and the temperature is about 3 K. Estimate the pressure in interstellar space. Give your answer in Pa and in atm.

Homework Equations

Average translational kinetic energy per molecule: Eavg = 1.5KbT = .5mv2
p = F/A = (1/3)(N/V)mVrms2
Eth = 1.5nRT
pV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

V = 10-6 m3
T = 3K
m = 1u = 1.66x10-27
n = 1.66x10-24 (not sure if this is right?)

pV = nRT --> p = 4.14x10-17
Where am I going wrong, or is this correct?

Thank you for any help/advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Different approach, I get the same number:

[tex]
\frac{10^6 \, \text{atom}} {\text{m}^3} \cdot
\frac{1 \, \text{mole}} {6.0221415 \times 10^{23} \, \text{atom}} \cdot
8.3144621 \, \text{J}/\text{K}/\text{mole} \cdot
3 \, \mbox{K} \approx 4.142 \times 10^{-17} \, \text{pascal}
[/tex]

The only formula you need is PV = nRT

That is exactly one of the formulae that pdonovan, Spinnor.

Thank you very much, that was the correct answer.

Now, how would I got about finding Vrms?

I know p = (1/3)(N/V)mVrms2
So, p = 4.14x10-17
N = 1
V = 10-6
m = 1u = 1.66x10-27
And found Vrms = .86m/s, but this is incorrect. I think my m or v might be incorrect.

Your value for m is correct (assuming units of kilograms; always carry units around). Your math is wrong somewhere. Show your work.

Now I have...

4.14x10-17pa = (1/3)(1/10-6)mVrms2

1.242x10-22 = mVrms2

74819.28 = Vrms2
Vrms = 275.64m/s

So something is definitely wrong, because the atom should be moving very slowly.

Yeah, your answer is too large. About 2 m/s too large. sqrt(74819.28) is about 273.53.

As a sanity check, you can always compute sqrt((3 * boltzmann's constant * 3 kelvin) / (1 amu)). You will get the same answer.

Then which values are wrong in the Vrms = sqrt(3KbT / m) formula? I have T = 3 and if m = 1, then Vrms = 1.11 x 10 ^ -11 which is wrong. And if m =1660x10^-27g it is too big (around 8.6).

1. How is pressure measured in interstellar space?

Pressure in interstellar space can be measured using a variety of methods, including using instruments such as pressure gauges or sensors on spacecraft. These instruments measure the force of particles or radiation exerted on a surface, which can be used to calculate the pressure in the surrounding space.

2. What is the average pressure in interstellar space?

The average pressure in interstellar space is extremely low, with values ranging from 10-17 to 10-13 Pascal (Pa). This is much lower than the pressure on Earth's surface, which is approximately 100,000 Pa. However, pressure can vary greatly in different regions of interstellar space.

3. How does the pressure in interstellar space affect objects?

The low pressure in interstellar space does not have a significant effect on objects, as it is much lower than the pressure needed to cause any noticeable deformation or damage. However, it can affect the movement and behavior of particles and gas in the surrounding space.

4. Can pressure in interstellar space be used to determine the density of matter?

While pressure can provide some information about the density of matter in interstellar space, it is not the only factor that affects density. Other factors such as temperature, composition, and gravitational forces also play a role in determining the density of matter in interstellar space.

5. How does pressure change in different regions of interstellar space?

The pressure in interstellar space can vary greatly depending on the environment. For example, the pressure is higher in regions with a high concentration of matter, such as near a star or within a galaxy. On the other hand, the pressure is lower in the voids between galaxies, where matter is more spread out.