Determining Quotient Group (\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4)/\langle(1,2)\rangle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 7K views
Just because

[tex]\phi(ab) = \phi(a)\phi(b)[/tex]

for some particular [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex] does not imply that it works for every [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. This is the problem. A homomorphism requires it to work for any choices. Thus you didn't prove that anything was a homomorphism or a bijection (although it is certainly possible to find bijections and homomorphisms between the two. It is not possible to find an isomorphism, ie. a function that is both a bijection and a homomorphism. This is what you need to prove).

And actually I spoke a little too soon in my last post (I need to read more carefully!). In [itex]Q[/itex], we find [itex]A^4B^2 =e(-e) = - e \neq e[/itex] but in [itex]{\cal D}_4[/itex] we find [itex]R^4 \rho^2 = ee = e[/itex]. So your example doesn't quite work anyways.

The most clear path to prove what you need is that that Muzza suggested:

Prove that if [itex]f(x)[/itex] is an isomorphism between to groups then [itex]\mbox{ord}f(x) = \mbox{ord}x[/itex] and then use the fact that I gave above of unequal numbers of elements of certain orders to get your result.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Data. That is what I wanted to hear. And Muzza's post was most helpful too. I will post back with another attempt later.

Thankyou guys.

By the way Muzza, your "framework" proof, is exactly the path I was trying to take (same idea). Except mine came out all fuzzy. :frown:
 
Last edited:
If [tex]Q[/tex] and [tex]\mathcal{D}_4[/tex] are groups, and [tex]\phi : Q \rightarrow \mathcal{D}_4[/tex] is an isomorphism. Then for all [tex]x \in Q[/tex],

[tex]|\phi(x)| = |x|[/tex]

That is, [tex]\phi[/tex] maps from exactly one element in [tex]Q[/tex] to exactly one element in [tex]\mathcal{D}_4[/tex].

Suppose that [tex]\phi[/tex] is an isomorphism. Denote [tex]a[/tex] to be rotation and [tex]b[/tex] to be reflection in [tex]\mathcal{D}_4[/tex]. Then there are three elements in [tex]\mathcal{D}_4[/tex] with order 2:

[tex]a^2, b, ab^2[/tex]

In [tex]Q[/tex] there is only one element of order 2:

[tex]A^2[/tex]

where A is the 2x2 matrix that I typed earlier.

So if [tex]|A| = 2[/tex] then

[tex]|\phi(A)| = |a^2| = |b| = |ab^2| \in \mathcal{D}_4[/tex]

Thus [tex]\phi[/tex] is not an isomorphism.
 
I want to look closer into the dihedral group [tex]\mathcal{D}_n[/tex]. Where

[tex]\mathcal{D}_n = \{a,b | a^n = b^2 = e, \, bab = a^{-1}\}[/tex].

I want to find all normal subgroups and then determine the corresponding quotient groups.


A subgroup [tex]H[/tex] of a group [tex]G[/tex] is normal if

[tex]gHg^{-1} = H \quad \forall \, g \in G[/tex]

Take [tex]n[/tex] to be odd. If we apply rotation [tex]a[/tex] to the n-gon in the positive sense, and proceed to apply it in the negative sense, then we haven't rotated the n-gon at all.

Im talking jibberish. How am I supposed to find the normal subgroups of this group? What are they going to look like? Subsets? I don't know...
 
Note, that if this was a specific dihedral group [tex]\mathcal{D}_3[/tex] or something. Then I would write up the multiplication table, work out the subgroups, and then determine which are normal by applying

[tex]gH = Hg \, \forall \, g\in G[/tex]

But I have no idea how to start doing this problem when [tex]n[/tex] is arbitrary.
 
Ok I may have something.

Dihedral groups are special groups that consist of rotations [tex]a[/tex] and relfections [tex]b[/tex], where the group operation is the composition of these rotations and reflections.

The finite dihedral group [tex]\mathcal{D}_n[/tex] has [tex]2n[/tex] elements and is generated by [tex]a[/tex] (with order [tex]n[/tex]) and [tex]b[/tex] (with order [tex]2[/tex]). The two elements of the dihedral group satsify

[tex]ab = ba^{-1}[/tex]

If the order of [tex]\mathcal{D}_{n}[/tex] is greater than 4, then the group operations do not commute, ie [tex]\mathcal{D}_n[/tex] is not abelian.

The [tex]2n[/tex] elements of [tex]\mathcal{D}_n[/tex] are

[tex]\{e, a, a^2, \dots , a^{n-1}, b, ba, ba^2, \dots , ba^{n-1}\}[/tex]

Now, in order to form the quotient groups, I need to find the normal subgroups. The normal subgroups are those which are invariant under conjugation.

I know [tex]\{e\}[/tex] and [tex]\{\mathcal{D}_n\][/tex] are going to normal subgroups. But I don't know how to find any others.