1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining Spring Constant in Ion Pair

1. Apr 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The force between an ion pair is given by [itex]F=-k\alpha\frac{e^{2}}{r^{2}}[1-\left(\frac{r_{\circ}}{r}\right)^{m-1}] [/itex]
    Find the value of [tex]r[/tex] where the equilibrium position is.

Determine the effective spring constant for small oscillations from the equilibrium.

Using [itex]m=8~\text{and}~\alpha=1.7476[/itex] estimate the frequency of vibration of a Na+ ion in NaCl

2. Relevant equations

Binomial expansion theorem

3. The attempt at a solution

The first question is easy as you set the force equal to 0 and it is no surprise that the answer is [itex]r=r_{\circ}.[/itex] When I try using the binomial expansion theorem, I always end up with a dependence on [itex]r_{\circ}[/itex]. But in the next portion, I have to find the frequency of vibration for Na+ ion and am only given alpha and m. Thanks for any help.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Where do you get a binomial expansions? Please show your work, otherwise it is hard to find out what went wrong.

4. Apr 12, 2014 #3
    Maybe use that [itex]\left(1-x\right)^n\approx 1-nx[/itex] where x is much less than 1.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  5. Apr 12, 2014 #4
    I did this! So I converted [itex]r[/itex] to [itex]r_{\circ}+\Delta r[/itex] and get [itex]F=-k\alpha \frac{e^{2}}{r_{\circ}+\Delta r}[1-\left(1-\frac{\Delta r}{r_{\circ}}\right)^{1-m}][/itex] and say that [itex]\frac{\Delta r}{r_{\circ}}[/itex] is much less than 1 (which is reasonable for small angles). I was hoping that this would get rid of the r and [itex]r_{\circ}[/itex] dependence this way, but even if I do, what do I do about F?

6. Apr 13, 2014 #5

mfb

2016 Award

A right, with ##r \approx r_0## you get that binomial expansion, okay.

How does F vary for very small Δr? In particular, what about its derivatives?

7. Apr 13, 2014 #6
    Finding the derivative of force will show the points at which it is minimized and maximized, but I all ready know that. What good is it?

8. Apr 13, 2014 #7

mfb

2016 Award

It will also show you how the force varies for small deviations from the equilibrium point. This gives the effective spring constant.

9. Apr 13, 2014 #8
    Well, I end up with the spring constant being [itex]\frac{k\alpha e^{2} \left(m-1\right)}{r_{0}^{3}}[/itex] and plugging this into mathematica shows the tangent, which is in good agreement for small deviations. Great...so now what?

10. Apr 13, 2014 #9
    So I took r0 to be the ion separation between na and cl which was 0.28 nm. Using this and all of the other information, I ended up with a frequency of 1.19*10^13 hertz. Is this reasonable?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  11. Apr 13, 2014 #10

mfb

2016 Award

I agree with that result.

Looks like you have to use the external value for r0.
    I don't know about the frequency, but it does not look completely wrong.

12. Apr 13, 2014 #11
    For the units to work out I HAVE to know r0. Maybe my value is crap, but at least my solution shows the understanding is there. It turned out to not be too hard...maybe a little convoluted. Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted