Determining Spring Constant in Ion Pair

In summary, the equilibrium position for a Na+ ion in NaCl is when the force between the ion pair is zero. The binomial expansion theorem gives a dependence on r_{\circ}, but the frequency of vibration can be found with alpha and m using the equation 1-nx where x is much less than 1.
PEZenfuego

Homework Statement

The force between an ion pair is given by [itex]F=-k\alpha\frac{e^{2}}{r^{2}}[1-\left(\frac{r_{\circ}}{r}\right)^{m-1}] [/itex]
Find the value of [tex]r[/tex] where the equilibrium position is.

Determine the effective spring constant for small oscillations from the equilibrium.

Using [itex]m=8~\text{and}~\alpha=1.7476[/itex] estimate the frequency of vibration of a Na+ ion in NaCl

Homework Equations

Binomial expansion theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

The first question is easy as you set the force equal to 0 and it is no surprise that the answer is [itex]r=r_{\circ}.[/itex] When I try using the binomial expansion theorem, I always end up with a dependence on [itex]r_{\circ}[/itex]. But in the next portion, I have to find the frequency of vibration for Na+ ion and am only given alpha and m. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where do you get a binomial expansions? Please show your work, otherwise it is hard to find out what went wrong.

Maybe use that [itex]\left(1-x\right)^n\approx 1-nx[/itex] where x is much less than 1.

Last edited:
2.718281828459 said:
Maybe use that [itex]\left(1-x\right)^n\approx 1-nx[/itex] where x is much less than 1.
I did this! So I converted [itex]r[/itex] to [itex]r_{\circ}+\Delta r[/itex] and get [itex]F=-k\alpha \frac{e^{2}}{r_{\circ}+\Delta r}[1-\left(1-\frac{\Delta r}{r_{\circ}}\right)^{1-m}][/itex] and say that [itex]\frac{\Delta r}{r_{\circ}}[/itex] is much less than 1 (which is reasonable for small angles). I was hoping that this would get rid of the r and [itex]r_{\circ}[/itex] dependence this way, but even if I do, what do I do about F?

A right, with ##r \approx r_0## you get that binomial expansion, okay.

but even if I do, what do I do about F?
How does F vary for very small Δr? In particular, what about its derivatives?

Finding the derivative of force will show the points at which it is minimized and maximized, but I all ready know that. What good is it?

It will also show you how the force varies for small deviations from the equilibrium point. This gives the effective spring constant.

mfb said:
It will also show you how the force varies for small deviations from the equilibrium point. This gives the effective spring constant.

Well, I end up with the spring constant being [itex]\frac{k\alpha e^{2} \left(m-1\right)}{r_{0}^{3}}[/itex] and plugging this into mathematica shows the tangent, which is in good agreement for small deviations. Great...so now what?

So I took r0 to be the ion separation between na and cl which was 0.28 nm. Using this and all of the other information, I ended up with a frequency of 1.19*10^13 hertz. Is this reasonable?

Last edited:
PEZenfuego said:
Well, I end up with the spring constant being [itex]\frac{k\alpha e^{2} \left(m-1\right)}{r_{0}^{3}}[/itex]
I agree with that result.

Looks like you have to use the external value for r0.
I don't know about the frequency, but it does not look completely wrong.

For the units to work out I HAVE to know r0. Maybe my value is crap, but at least my solution shows the understanding is there. It turned out to not be too hard...maybe a little convoluted. Thanks for the help!

1. What is the purpose of determining the spring constant in ion pair?

The spring constant in ion pair is used to measure the strength of the interaction between two ions in a solution. This is important for understanding the behavior and properties of ionic compounds and can also be used in chemical and biological processes.

2. How is the spring constant in ion pair determined?

The spring constant in ion pair is determined through various experimental methods, such as using ion-selective electrodes or spectrophotometry. These methods involve measuring the change in the concentration of ions in a solution as a result of an applied force or displacement.

3. What factors can affect the spring constant in ion pair?

The spring constant in ion pair can be affected by the concentration of ions, temperature, and the nature of the ions themselves. Other factors that can influence the strength of the ion pair interaction include solvent polarity and the presence of other molecules or ions in the solution.

4. How does the spring constant in ion pair relate to other constants in chemistry?

The spring constant in ion pair is similar to other binding constants in chemistry, such as the equilibrium constant. These constants all measure the strength of interactions between molecules or ions in a solution. However, the spring constant is specific to the interaction between two ions, while other constants may be used to describe different types of interactions.

5. Can the spring constant in ion pair change over time?

Yes, the spring constant in ion pair can change over time depending on the conditions of the solution. For example, temperature changes or the addition of other ions or molecules can alter the strength of the ion pair interaction. It is important to consider these factors when determining and using the spring constant in ion pair.