Directional derivatives at critical points

In summary: In this case yes. I actually had in mind a curve crossing itself, but didn't remember the formula.i explained myself horribly. what I am asking is: there is a way to know when the directional derivatives don't exist?
Kenneth1997
x*abs(y)*(y+x^2+x)=f(x,y)
so, on normal points they are tangent vectors on some point in the chosen direction. how about in critical points, where there shouldn't be any on a geometrical standpoint? can i say they exist if i get them with the definition? or the result i get has no value?
like for example on f(0,0), i get 0 for any derivative. do i say they exist and their value is 0 or what?
when a directional derivative don't exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kenneth1997 said:
so, on normal points they are tangent vectors on some point in the chosen direction. how about in critical points, where there shouldn't be any on a geometrical standpoint? can i say they exist if i get them with the definition? or the result i get has no value?
like for example on f(0,0), i get 0 for any derivative. do i say they exist and their value is 0 or what?
I'm not sure they don't exist, the graphic on wolframalpha looks pretty smooth. But anyway, you could have chosen another example. If you have more than one limit, aka possible tangent, then you have more than one directional derivative. It always depends on the path on which you approach your point, critical or not. It's the total derivative which creates the problems or if you get different values in the same direction, depending on left and right.

It seems the abs|y| would give you a problem with ##f_y## at 0. But it seems you can check using the product rule can't you?

Last edited by a moderator:
fresh_42 said:
I'm not sure they don't exist, the graphic on wolframalpha looks pretty smooth. But anyway, you could have chosen another example. If you have more than one limit, aka possible tangent, then you have more than one directional derivative. It always depends on the path on which you approach your point, critical or not. It's the total derivative which creates the problems or if you get different values in the same direction, depending on left and right.
what do you mean with more then one limit?
WWGD said:
It seems the abs|y| would give you a problem with ##f_y## at 0. But it seems you can check using the product rule can't you?
im not familiar with the terminology, I am not a native english speaker, you mean the "gradient formula"?

Kenneth1997 said:

I cannot parse exactly what your question is, but in this example we have:
(1) the function is differentiable at ##(0,0)##; all its directional derivatives equal zero at that point.
(2) the function is not differentiable at points of the form ##(x,0), x \neq 0.## At such points there are directional derivatives in all directions. However, the directional derivative in the direction ##(k_x,k_y)## is not a linear function of ##(k_x,k_y),## and that is why ##f## is not differentiable at such points.
(3) The function is continuously differentiable at all points ##(x,y) , y \neq 0.##

Likes Kenneth1997 and fresh_42
Ray Vickson said:
I cannot parse exactly what your question is, but in this example we have:
(1) the function is differentiable at ##(0,0)##; all its directional derivatives equal zero at that point.
(2) the function is not differentiable at points of the form ##(x,0), x \neq 0.## At such points there are directional derivatives in all directions. However, the directional derivative in the direction ##(k_x,k_y)## is not a linear function of ##(k_x,k_y),## and that is why ##f## is not differentiable at such points.
(3) The function is continuously differentiable at all points ##(x,y) , y \neq 0.##
What do you mean by direction ##(k_x,k_y)##?

Kenneth1997 said:
what do you mean with more than one limit?
As in ##x \longmapsto |x|## where you have ##-1## from the left and ##+1## from the right; both in ##x-##direction.

fresh_42 said:
As in ##x \longmapsto |x|## where you have ##-1## from the left and ##+1## from the right; both in ##x-##direction.
Oesnt this just mean that the limit does not exist?

WWGD said:
Oesnt this just mean that the limit does not exist?
In this case yes. I actually had in mind a curve crossing itself, but didn't remember the formula.

i explained myself horribly. what I am asking is: there is a way to know when the directional derivatives don't exist?

WWGD said:
What do you mean by direction #(k_x,k_y)#?
i think he just mean a generic direction

WWGD said:
What do you mean by direction #(k_x,k_y)#?
I mean that when you go away from point ##(x_0,y_0)## along a "step" vector ##(k_x,k_y)## you will be looking at points of the form ##(x_0 + k_x t, y_0 + k_y t)##, where ##t## is a real scalar. The distance moved would be ##|t| \sqrt{k_x^2 + k_y^2}## and the actual direction would be given by the unit vector $$ \frac{(k_x,k_y)}{\sqrt{k_x^2+k_y^2}}$$

Different sources seem to disagree about whether you need to have a unit vector ##\vec{k}## when definining the directional derivative. I have seen some authors say your directional derivative should, in fact, depend only on the direction, so they would demand use of a unit vector. I have seen other authors define the directional derivative with respect to the whole vector ##\vec{k}##, so for them the directional derivative depends on both the direction and the magnitude of the step ##\vec{k}##. Personally, I tend to favor the latter, but it is easy to pass back and forth between the two.

Last edited:
Likes WWGD

What is a directional derivative at a critical point?

A directional derivative at a critical point is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a particular direction at a point where the gradient of the function is zero. It tells us how the function changes along a specific direction at the critical point.

How is a directional derivative at a critical point calculated?

A directional derivative at a critical point is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient of the function and a unit vector in the direction of interest. This dot product gives us the rate of change of the function in that direction at the critical point.

What is the significance of directional derivatives at critical points?

Directional derivatives at critical points are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function at these critical points. They can tell us whether the function is increasing or decreasing in a particular direction, and can also help us identify local maxima and minima.

How are directional derivatives at critical points used in optimization problems?

Directional derivatives at critical points are used in optimization problems to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent at a critical point. This information can then be used to determine the optimal direction for maximizing or minimizing the function.

Can a function have a directional derivative of zero at a critical point?

Yes, a function can have a directional derivative of zero at a critical point. This means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing in that direction at the critical point. However, the function can still have a non-zero directional derivative in other directions at the same critical point.