Determining the Appropriate Oxidation State of Chromium in a Reaction

  • Thread starter Thread starter mystix
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oxidation State
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
mystix
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I am working out a reaction and I was wondering if someone could tell me which oxidation state of chromium should be used?

Cr(s) + AgNO3(aq) -> Cr(NO3)?(aq) + Ag(s)

Do I use Chromium (II) Nitrate or Chromium (III) Nitrate? How do I know which one to use?

If anyone could help explain which oxidation state of Chromium is correct, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks rocophysics!

So, if you aren't given the oxidation state, always use the most stable oxidation state?

Is this a rule?
 
Yes. If there is no way to determine which oxidation state is involved in the given reaction, pick the most stable one (under the conditions).