Determining the coefficient of static and dynamic friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a Mathematics C assignment on static and dynamic friction. The weight of the object is 0.0685kg and the coefficient of static friction has been calculated for three different surfaces. However, the group is stuck on how to calculate the coefficient of dynamic friction and suggestions for finding it include timing the object's slide down a plane and using force equations to find the acceleration.
thestudent101
I have a Mathematics C assignment, with one question being about static and dynamic friction. But I think it fits this forum. Anyway, we need to conduct experiments to show if there is a difference between static and dynamic friction or not with three different surfaces.

The weight of the object being tested is 0.0685kg and gravity has been assumed as -9.8m/s^2

I have calculated the coefficient of static friction for the three surfaces. This was done so by placing an object of weight 0.0685kg on a surface and increasing the angle until the object starts to slide. For wood, the average angle was 37.3°, for glass - 18.0° and for metal - 14.7°. For calculating the static coefficient of friction the weight force has been calculated as
w=mg
w=0.0685*-9.8
w=-0.6713 Newtons

This has then been subbed into
0=wsinθ-Fr
0=-0.6713*sin(37.3)-Fr
Fr= 0.407 Newtons

0=-wcosθ+N
0=-(-0.6713*cos(37.3))+N
N=0.534 Newtons

μ=Fr/N
μ=0.407/0.534
μ=0.762 (wood)
This process has been repeated for glass (μ=0.324) and for metal (μ=0.263)

Now I am completely stuck on how to calculate the coefficient of dynamic friction. I was thinking about timing how long the object takes to slide down a certain length from a set angle? But I don't know how to calculate the coefficient from that? Any ideas and help will be appreciated thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the co-efficient of dynamic friction, writing the force equations will be a good way to start. Now, if you time how long the object takes to slide down the plane at a certain angle, you will have all the variables to find the acceleration of the object. Substitute this acceleration into the force equation, from which you get the frictional force, and hence, the coefficient.

Edit : I just realized you have another same thread here. Please don't multiple threads.

This is due tomorrow, I know I've left it to the last minute but hey.
Anyway I understand how to do that, but how do you work out the acceleration from timing it?

thestudent101 said:
This is due tomorrow, I know I've left it to the last minute but hey.
Anyway I understand how to do that, but how do you work out the acceleration from timing it?

Use ##s=v_0t+\frac{at^2}{2}##

1. What is the coefficient of friction and why is it important?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact. It is important because it helps determine the amount of force needed to move one surface over the other and is crucial in understanding the physics of motion.

2. What is the difference between static and dynamic friction?

Static friction is the resistance force that prevents an object from moving when a force is applied to it, while dynamic friction is the resistance force that acts on an object while it is already in motion. Static friction is typically greater than dynamic friction.

3. How is the coefficient of friction measured?

The coefficient of friction can be measured using an instrument called a friction tester, which consists of a block of material placed on a flat surface and a weight attached to the block. The weight is gradually increased until the block just starts to slide, and the coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the weight by the applied force.

4. What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the temperature, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants.

5. How can the coefficient of friction be used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of friction is used in a variety of real-world applications, such as designing tires for vehicles, determining the slipperiness of floors, and creating effective braking systems. It is also important in understanding the mechanics of machinery and ensuring smooth and efficient operation.