Determining the direction of the magnetic field

In summary, to determine the direction of the associated magnetic field in a charging capacitor along the z-axis, you can use the right hand rule. If the increasing electric field is pointing in the z-direction, the magnetic field will be in the +theta direction. If the increasing electric field is in the -z direction, the magnetic field will be in the -theta direction. This rule can be remembered as the right hand thumb rule.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

suppose we have a charging capacitor orientated along the z-axis, such that we have a changing electric field. How do I determine the direction of the associated magnetic field.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the magnitude of the B field, and my intuition tells me that the magnetic field will loop in the theta direction, but I don't know how to prove that this is the case.

I know that the magnetic field has to be perpendicular to the E-field ( which is in the z direction) and must form a closed loop. But how would you know that the field is not in the -theta direction? Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Physgeek64 said:
I know that the magnetic field has to be perpendicular to the E-field ( which is in the z direction) and must form a closed loop. But how would you know that the field is not in the -theta direction? Many thanks :)
You know by using the right hand rule. If the increasing E-field is pointing in the z-direction, the B-field will be in the +θ direction. If the increasing E-field is in the -z direction, the B-field will be in the -θ direction.

kuruman said:
You know by using the right hand rule. If the increasing E-field is pointing in the z-direction, the B-field will be in the +θ direction. If the increasing E-field is in the -z direction, the B-field will be in the -θ direction.
Is that just the right hand thumb rule? Many thanks

1. How is the direction of the magnetic field determined?

The direction of the magnetic field is determined by using a compass or a magnetometer. The compass needle or the magnetometer will align itself with the Earth's magnetic field lines, indicating the direction of the magnetic field.

2. What is the difference between magnetic north and true north?

Magnetic north refers to the direction that a compass needle points towards, which is influenced by the Earth's magnetic field. True north, on the other hand, refers to the geographic North Pole, which is the northern point of the Earth's axis of rotation.

3. Can the direction of the magnetic field change?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field is constantly changing. The Earth's magnetic field is generated by the movement of molten iron in its outer core, which is constantly in motion. This causes the magnetic field to fluctuate and change direction over time.

4. What tools are used to measure the direction of the magnetic field?

Compasses, magnetometers, and magnetic declination charts are commonly used to measure the direction of the magnetic field. Some advanced instruments, such as magnetometers on satellites, are also used for more precise measurements.

5. How is the direction of the magnetic field important in scientific research?

The direction of the magnetic field is important in many areas of scientific research, including geology, astronomy, and physics. It helps us understand the Earth's structure and movements, as well as the behavior of other planets and celestial bodies. The magnetic field also plays a crucial role in technologies such as navigation and communication systems.