Determining the direction of the magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Physgeek64
Messages
245
Reaction score
11

Homework Statement


suppose we have a charging capacitor orientated along the z-axis, such that we have a changing electric field. How do I determine the direction of the associated magnetic field.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I calculated the magnitude of the B field, and my intuition tells me that the magnetic field will loop in the theta direction, but I don't know how to prove that this is the case.

I know that the magnetic field has to be perpendicular to the E-field ( which is in the z direction) and must form a closed loop. But how would you know that the field is not in the -theta direction? Many thanks :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Physgeek64 said:
I know that the magnetic field has to be perpendicular to the E-field ( which is in the z direction) and must form a closed loop. But how would you know that the field is not in the -theta direction? Many thanks :)
You know by using the right hand rule. If the increasing E-field is pointing in the z-direction, the B-field will be in the +θ direction. If the increasing E-field is in the -z direction, the B-field will be in the -θ direction.
 
kuruman said:
You know by using the right hand rule. If the increasing E-field is pointing in the z-direction, the B-field will be in the +θ direction. If the increasing E-field is in the -z direction, the B-field will be in the -θ direction.
Is that just the right hand thumb rule? Many thanks