1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the electron speed in parallel plates

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two parallel plates labelled W (negative) and X (positive) are separated by 5.2 cm. The electric potential between the plates is 150 V. An electron starts from rest at time tw and reaches plate X at time tx. The electron continues through an opening in plate X and reaches point P at time tP. Determine the speed at tx and tP

e = -1.6 x 10-19 C
    me = 9.1 x 10-31

2. Relevant equations

V = kq1 / r
    ΔV = ΔE/q
    ε = ΔV / r
    Ek = 0.5mv2

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to determine v at tw and tx, but I did find the field strength: ε = 2884.6. We also know the electron starts from rest, so we could use the conservation of energy law to generate the following eq'n.

v2 = 2m-1kq1q2(ra-2 - rb2). But we don't have a "q2" so I'm quite lost. Any help is appreciated!

God bless and thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

The Volt is a name given to the unit combination Joules/Coulomb :wink:

You should be able to find (in your notes or text) an expression for the work done on a charge falling through a potential difference. The work done shows up as kinetic energy...

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3
    You can start by finding the acceleration of the electron.
    F = ma = qE
    a = qE/m
    Then it's a kinematics problem
    vf^2 = 2*a*x Thats good for finding Vx

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4
    I used your equation (not on my eq'n sheet), a = qE/m, substituted Vq for E, leaving me with Vq˄2 / m. I found acc. to be 3.376 x 10^-6.

Plugged that into eq'n v22 = v12 + 2ad,

which reduces to v2 = sqr(2ad), and I got a velocity (vx) of 5.93 x 10^-4 m/s which seems really slow to me.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Why would you substitute Vq for E? E here would be the electric field strength (units of [N]/[C] or [V]/[m]). You calculated the electric field strength previously, calling it ε.

However, a more slick approach is to use q*ΔV, with q being the charge on the electron and ΔV the change in electric potential (the 150V). The units are then [C][J]/[C] → [J], which is energy. That's the work done on the electron as it falls through the field...

7. Jan 27, 2013 #6
    Ok that makes more sense. When you wrote E, I figured you meant energy, not ε. Tak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook