Determining the magnitude of the charge (Coulombs Law)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
17 replies · 40K views
meeklobraca
Messages
188
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Two equal charges exert an electric force on each other of 0.0385N when positioned 0.15 m apart. Determine the magnitude of the charge on each point.



Homework Equations



Fe=Kq1q2/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I narrowed it down to

q1q2=FeR^2/K

q1q2=96357.0634C^2

I squared this and I get q1q2=310.4143415C

This is not the answer to the question. I am close as far as the numbers go but I am not sure what I am missing here.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
meeklobraca said:

Homework Statement



Two equal charges exert an electric force on each other of 0.0385N when positioned 0.15 m apart. Determine the magnitude of the charge on each point.

Homework Equations



Fe=Kq1q2/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution



I narrowed it down to

q1q2=FeR^2/K

q1q2=96357.0634C^2

I squared this and I get q1q2=310.4143415C

This is not the answer to the question. I am close as far as the numbers go but I am not sure what I am missing here.

Could be the number of significant digits.
Could be that the charges could either both be plus or minus, but they do only ask for magnitude.
 
The answer given is 3.1 x 10-7 C

The answer I got was 3.1 x 10^2C right? So I figure the numbers are correct, just something missing, or maybe even the answer in the book is wrong.
 
meeklobraca said:
The answer given is 3.1 x 10-7 C

The answer I got was 3.1 x 10^2C right? So I figure the numbers are correct, just something missing, or maybe even the answer in the book is wrong.

Recalculate it again then. (K is 9*109 And you are dividing by it.)
 
meeklobraca said:
yeah, that's been done.

If you divided by 109 and you got 102 ... that's a lot of 10's to be off.

Why don't you type out your whole calculation?

On the face of it you have 10-2*10-1*10-1/109

102 seems like an unlikely result.
 
I have here

qq=0.0385N x (0.15)(0.15) / 8.99x10^9

So I get

8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9
 
Last edited:
meeklobraca said:
I have here

qq=0.0385N x (0.15)(0.15) / 8.99x10^9

So I get

8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9

And that gives 9.62 x 10-14

And taking the square root ...
 
"And that gives 9.62 x 10-14"

I wish I could copy and paste what my calculator is saying because I just don't get that answer.
 
I tried it with an oline calculator and I got what you got, so I am not sure if the settings on my calculator are just messed up.
 
meeklobraca said:
I tried it with an oline calculator and I got what you got, so I am not sure if the settings on my calculator are just messed up.

Nothing like pencil and paper.

If in doubt, work it out.
 
Its been a while since I've done that. How do you divide exponents? Can you give me a quick crash course?
 
OK see there we go.

I have 8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9 right?

Im taking 8.66x10^+4 and dividing it by 8.99x10^+9

But if I am dividing an exponent I am supposed to make the +9 a negative 9?
 
meeklobraca said:
OK see there we go.

I have 8.66x10-4 / 8.99x10^9 right?

Im taking 8.66x10^+4 and dividing it by 8.99x10^+9

But if I am dividing an exponent I am supposed to make the +9 a negative 9?

That should be -4 and dividing by 109 makes that 10-13 and the numerator being less than denominator makes it 9.xx * 10-14.
 
That was a typo on my part.

That makes perfect sense, I still don't get though why my calculator spits out 96329.25473

This is on a TI83 sci. calulator

8.6610^(-4)/8.9910^(9)

96329.25473
 
meeklobraca said:
That was a typo on my part.

That makes perfect sense, I still don't get though why my calculator spits out 96329.25473

This is on a TI83 sci. calulator

8.6610^(-4)/8.9910^(9)

96329.25473

I'd recommend not using that calculator to figure orbital trajectories for a Mars landing then.

Maybe use it for grocery shopping?
 
its going to be used as a stool for my radio here if it doesn't smarten up.