Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the number of elements in the relative complement of a set

1. Apr 20, 2012 #1
    Hello,
    I have been very obsessed with a board game called Hex lately. I am trying to calculate the number of completed states (all positions filled in) on a 3x3 board where a certain player wins, given that some positions are already filled. I have attached a diagram illustrating what I am trying to do.

In the diagram are illustrations of a 3x3 Hex board, where pieces are played on the intersections. Each intersection either has a white or black piece on it, or is empty, meaning that it does not matter what color is placed on it.

For set A, the image designates 5 empty intersections that can either be black or white, giving a total of 2^5 elements in the set. Set B is the relative complement of another board with set A, which is equivalent to a set shown that includes 2^4 elements.

My problem is that I am having trouble calculating the number of elements in set C, which is equivalent to the relative complement of the board pictured with the union of sets A and B. It is not equivalent to any single diagram I can think of, so I can not compute it like I did with set B.

Are there any formulas I can use to compute this and further relative complements of unions?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 20, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Mingy Jongo and welcome to the forums.

What will probably help you for these kinds of problems is using the definition of A \ X for a general X (including if X = Y OR Z like in your example).

Take a look at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complement_(set_theory)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook