Determining the position from the velocity

In summary, an object with a mass of 1kg is placed on a slope with an angle of 30 degrees and a height of 0.5m above the ground. The slope leads to a horizontal plane with a spring with a constant of 1000N/m at the end. The object will reach a velocity of 1m/s when it has traveled 0.5m down the slope, taking into account the energy absorbed by the spring and the work done against friction.
zakare

Homework Statement

An object (masse m) is placed on a slope with an angle a at a height of h above the ground. There is no friction on the inclined plane. The inclined plane leads to a horizontal plane 2 meters long that ends with a spring with a constant of k. There is friction on the horizontal plane (but not the inclined plane). Where is the object when its velocity is equal to 1m/s?

m=1kg
h=0.5m
k=1000N/m
angle a= 30 degrees
F(friction)=1N

Homework Equations

E(kin)=0.5*mv²
W = E(cin final) - E(cin initial)

The Attempt at a Solution

W = 0.5*mv² - 0.5*m(0)²
=0.5*mv² = F*d
d=(mv²)/(2F)
=.5m

but I don't know how to add in the energie given by the spring and the energy lost from friction.

Any help would be appreciated thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Was the force of friction given as 1N, or is that your assumption?

Insofar as it was given, remember the work-energy formula.

Yes, it's given. And sorry my attempt is a bit poor, I just need a bit of help starting off in the right direction. Thanks

I seriously doubt that you need all the info (but maybe I'm doing something wrong):

[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 =mgh [/tex]

solving for v:

[tex] v = \sqrt{2gh} [/tex]

Inserting data I get 5 cm lower w.r.t initial height?

zakare said:
… but I don't know how to add in the energie given by the spring and the energy lost from friction.

Hi zakare! :smile:

The energy absorbed by the spring is 1/2*kx², where x is the decrease in length of the spring;

and the energy lost from friction equals the work done against friction. :smile:

It will also reach 1 m/s when its a bit in the spring

edit: first post and I am late :(

Welcome to PF!

Hi Multicol ! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Multicol said:
It will also reach 1 m/s when its a bit in the spring

edit: first post and I am late :(

:smile: that's ok … spring was early this year! :smile:

What is the formula for determining position from velocity?

The formula for determining position from velocity is x = x0 + v0t + ½at2, where x is the position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Can position be calculated from velocity alone?

No, position cannot be calculated from velocity alone. In order to determine the position, the initial position and time must also be known.

How does the direction of velocity affect the position?

The direction of velocity affects the position by determining the direction in which the object is moving. If the velocity is positive, the object is moving in the positive direction, and if the velocity is negative, the object is moving in the negative direction.

What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity gives a more precise measurement at a specific moment.

How does acceleration impact the position from velocity?

Acceleration affects the position from velocity by changing the velocity of the object. If the acceleration is positive, the velocity will increase, causing the object to cover more distance in the same amount of time. If the acceleration is negative, the velocity will decrease, causing the object to cover less distance in the same amount of time.