Help with variable mass on a slope question

In summary: It is a right angle triangle so Pythagoras applies. And that is where the 13/12 comes from.In summary, the problem involves an armoured car on a smooth inclined plane, with a missile being fired horizontally from the car. The velocity with which the armoured car will begin to travel up the inclined plane is determined using a momentum equation, taking into account the horizontal and vertical components of the velocity. The final answer is 1.94m/s, and by considering the slope of the plane, the AC velocity can be calculated to be 1.95m/s up the slope.
Nate-2016

Homework Statement

An armoured car with a mass of 5 tonnes is located on a smooth plane which is inclined at an angle of tan-1 (5/12) to the horizontal as shown in Figure Q3. A missile of mass 15kg is fired horizontally from this armoured car at 650m/s. Determine the velocity with which the armoured car will begin to travel up the inclined plane.

upload_2016-5-12_11-12-12.png
[/B]

Homework Equations

I think that a momentum equation needs to be used, but I am not sure how to apply that equation to a slope.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to the question is 1.8m/s. The closest I have got to it is 1.9m/s. This is my attempt.

0 = mdv - Mv
dv+v = 650m/s
mdv = Mv
mx(650-v) = Mv
15x(650-v) = 5000v
v = (15x650) / (15+5000)
v = 1.94 m/s

At which point do I taken into consideration the angle of the slope?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whenever you choose.
When you draw up your equation, mdv = Mv, you are saying (I think?) that the momentum of the shell is equal to the momentum of the AC. Since v is a vector, you need to take the directions into account. But the shell is fired horizontally and the AC moves up the slope and you should take the angle into consideration here.
But you could consider momentum independently in horizontal and vertical directions. Then your equation is presumably looking only at the horizontal component of momentum and you have calculated the horizontal component of the AC velocity. So now you consider the slope.

I agree with your 1.95m/sec (I think you maybe got 1.96?) and I can see how someone might then get 1.8m/s by considering the slope, but I don't agree with that. I get 2.11m/sec for the AC velocity up the slope.

Likes Nate-2016
Thank you for explaining that to me. I have now taken into consideration the angle of the slope at the very end of my equation.
My new equation is now

0 = mdv - Mv
dv+v = 650m/s
mdv = Mv
mx(650-v) = Mv
15x(650-v) = 5000v
v = (15x650) / (15+5000)
v = 1.94 m/s x cos(tan^1(5/12))
v = 1.79 or 1.8 m/s

Solved.
Really appreciate your help.

Yes. That's how I thought they got 1.8 m/s.
I hope a real physicist might take a look, because I don't believe that answer.
If 1.94m/s is the horizontal component of the AC velocity, then the velocity of the AC up the slope must be greater, in fact 1.95 / cos(tan-1(5/12)) or simply 1.95 x 13/12
If you were given the velocity of the AC up the slope, say 1m/s, then asked what were the horizontal and vertical components of its velocity, you'd get two smaller numbers (H=12/13 and v=5/13). So now you have its horizontal component, the actual velocity must be larger.

1. Why is variable mass important in a slope question?

Variable mass is important in a slope question because it affects the overall forces acting on the object on the slope and can impact the object's acceleration and movement. It also allows for a more realistic and accurate representation of real-world scenarios where the mass of an object might change over time.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of an object with variable mass on a slope?

The acceleration of an object with variable mass on a slope can be calculated using Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In this case, the mass should be considered as a function of time, and the acceleration can be found by dividing the net force by the changing mass at a specific time.

3. What factors can cause the mass of an object to change on a slope?

The mass of an object on a slope can change due to various factors, such as the addition or removal of materials, evaporation or melting of substances, and chemical reactions. Other external forces, such as wind or friction, can also affect the mass of an object on a slope.

4. How does the angle of the slope affect the variable mass on an object?

The angle of the slope can affect the variable mass on an object by changing the distribution of the object's mass. For example, an object on a steeper slope will have a greater downward force acting on it, causing its mass to shift more towards the lower end of the slope. This can impact the object's acceleration and movement.

5. How can I account for variable mass on a slope in my calculations?

To account for variable mass on a slope in your calculations, you can use the concept of instantaneous mass. This means considering the mass of the object at different points in time and adjusting your calculations accordingly. You can also use integrals to calculate the total mass of the object over a specific period of time on the slope.