Determining the power of frictional force

In summary: Therefore, the Pf remains constant with time. This is because the work done by the frictional force is not associated with any change in kinetic or potential energy, so the power is constant and the final power is equal to the initial power. In summary, the power associated with the frictional force is constant and equal to zero, resulting in a constant Pf with time.
Gourab_chill
Homework Statement
The question was:
As a ball rolls down the inclined plane, the power of gravitational force Pg and frictional force Pf thereafter :-
(A) Pg increases with time and Pf remains constant with time
(B)Pg as well as Pf remain constant with time.
(C) Pg as well as Pf increase with time.
(D)Pg remains constant and Pf decreases with time.

The correct answer is (A). But my question is how come?
Relevant Equations
P=F.v
I can say that the frictional force always against the rolling sphere and the velocity is increasing for the ball. So The dot product F.v keeps on getting more and more negative, so how can the Pf remain constant? Well the velocity increases along the incline and the force of gravity is down the incline too so the Fg keeps on increasing, right? Or am I making a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gourab_chill said:
(A) Pg increases with time and Pf remains constant with time
[...]
The correct answer is (A). But my question is how come?
[...]
I can say that the frictional force always against the rolling sphere and the velocity is increasing for the ball. So The dot product F.v keeps on getting more and more negative, so how can the Pf remain constant?
My best guess is that it is something of a trick question. Since the ball is rolling down the plane, the frictional force is from static friction. The force of static friction dissipates no mechanical energy. So the power associated with it is constant and zero.

For this to be the intended explanation, one must count the work done by static friction in terms of the motion of the contacted surface rather than in terms of the motion of the center of mass. The equation:$$P=\vec{F} \cdot \vec{v}$$ does not tell you what ##\vec{v}## is the velocity of. It matters.

[It also does not tell you what reference frame to use, but we can assume the lab frame in which the inclined plane is at rest. That choice eliminates some complications that might otherwise arise]

Last edited:
Likes Gourab_chill
jbriggs444 said:
For this to be the intended explanation, one must count the work done by static friction in terms of the motion of the contacted surface rather than in terms of the motion of the center of mass. The equation:$$P=\vec{F} \cdot \vec{v}$$ does not tell you what ##\vec{v}## is the velocity of. It matters.

Yes, i agree that's the reason behind the power being constant; it is actually zero.

1. What is frictional force?

Frictional force is the resistance force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other. It opposes the motion of an object and is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces.

2. How is the power of frictional force determined?

The power of frictional force can be determined by measuring the coefficient of friction between two surfaces and the normal force acting between them. The formula for determining frictional force is F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

3. What factors affect the power of frictional force?

The power of frictional force is affected by the type of surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, the normal force acting between them, and the speed and direction of motion.

4. How does the power of frictional force impact motion?

The power of frictional force can either increase or decrease the speed of an object depending on the direction of the force. It can also cause an object to come to a stop if the force is strong enough to overcome the object's inertia.

5. How can the power of frictional force be reduced?

The power of frictional force can be reduced by using lubricants between two surfaces, using smoother materials for the surfaces, and reducing the normal force between them. Additionally, reducing the speed and direction of motion can also decrease the power of frictional force.