1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining the rank of a matrix

1. Dec 28, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    2136c8.png

2. Relevant equations
    N/A
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that they got a rank of 2 since there are 2 linearly independent columns but what if we decided to count rows? In that case we would have 4 linearly independent rows which would suggest the rank is 4? How do we reconcile between these?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

You should try to prove the linear independence of the four rows. Or simply draw them in a plane.

4. Dec 28, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Just because you have 4 rows does not mean you have 4 independent rows. In fact, you can have at most 2 independent vectors of dimension 2!

In fact, you can see that Row_3 = 2*Row_2 - Row_1 and Row_4 = - Row_1 - 4*Row_2..

REMEMBER: in any matrix, the number of linearly-independent rows equals the number of linearly-independent columns. That is an important basic theorem of linear algebra.

5. Dec 28, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope you mean linear dependence.

6. Dec 28, 2016 #5

fresh_42

No, I meant linear independency. My goal was to let the OP see by himself why this won't be possible and learn out of it.

7. Dec 28, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

OK: I found the wording confusing.

8. Dec 28, 2016 #7

fresh_42

He claimed the rows to be linear independent, so to ask for a proof seemed to be logic. Thus he would have learnt multiple things: don't claim, what you cannot prove, the calculations with linear dependencies and linear independencies are basically the same, and a (failed) proof would have simultaneously shown two free parameters solving the dimension formula. All within this tiny example.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted