1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that the 0 matrix is the only one with rank = 0

1. Apr 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that if rank(A) = 0, then A = 0.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    This seems like a very easy problem, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

rank(A) = dim(Im(A)) = 0, so Im(A) = {0}. Thus, A is by definition the zero matrix.

My only concern is whether I can conclude from Im(A) = {0} that A is the zero matrix. That is, that there is no other matrix that satisfies this property.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

What does ##\operatorname{Im}A = 0## mean?

4. Apr 2, 2017 #3
    I meant to write something like ##\text{Im}(A)= \{\vec{0} \}##

5. Apr 2, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Yes, of course, but what does it mean? What is the definition of ##\operatorname{Im} A=0##? Or ##= \{\vec{0}\}##, that isn't the point. Then compare it to what ##A=0## means.

6. Apr 2, 2017 #5
    Well, that means that the matrix ##A## maps everything to ##\vec{0}##. So of course the matrix matrix satisfies this. I just don't really know how I would show that the zero matrix is the only matrix that satisfies this.

7. Apr 2, 2017 #6

fresh_42

##\operatorname{Im}A =0 \,\Longleftrightarrow\,A(v)=0 \,\forall\, v\in V \,\Longleftrightarrow\,A=0##
    It's simply the definitions, i.e. it works in both directions.

8. Apr 2, 2017 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You could find the columns of A by multiplying by the appropriate vector, e.g., (1,0,0,...,0), (0,1,0,...,0).

9. Apr 3, 2017 #8
    A corollary of Rank-nullity says that the rank of a matrix is the same as the order of the highest order nonzero minor in that matrix. Therefore, if a matrix has rank zero, it means that its every entry must be the zero element.

Alternatively, you could invoke the Rank-Nullity theorem. You could view the matrix ##A ## as a linear operator (there's another theorem that allows you to do this) ##A : U\to V ##.
    The rank of ##A ## is then defined to be the dimension of the subspace ##A(U) =:\mbox{ran}A = \mbox{im}A##. R-N gives you
    [tex]
    \mbox{dim}(U) = \mbox{dim}(\mbox{ker}A ) + \mbox{dim}(\mbox{ran}A)
    [/tex]
    What is the only linear operator whose nullity is ##\mbox{dim}(U) ##? By nullity I mean the dimension of the kernel of ##A##.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted