Showing that the 0 matrix is the only one with rank = 0

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrix rank
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44

Homework Statement


Prove that if rank(A) = 0, then A = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


This seems like a very easy problem, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

rank(A) = dim(Im(A)) = 0, so Im(A) = {0}. Thus, A is by definition the zero matrix.

My only concern is whether I can conclude from Im(A) = {0} that A is the zero matrix. That is, that there is no other matrix that satisfies this property.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement


Prove that if rank(A) = 0, then A = 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


This seems like a very easy problem, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

rank(A) = dim(Im(A)) = 0, so Im(A) = {0}. Thus, A is by definition the zero matrix.

My only concern is whether I can conclude from Im(A) = 0 that A is the zero matrix. That is, that there is no other matrix that satisfies this property.
What does ##\operatorname{Im}A = 0## mean?
 
fresh_42 said:
What does ##\operatorname{Im}A = 0## mean?
I meant to write something like ##\text{Im}(A)= \{\vec{0} \}##
 
Yes, of course, but what does it mean? What is the definition of ##\operatorname{Im} A=0##? Or ##= \{\vec{0}\}##, that isn't the point. Then compare it to what ##A=0## means.
 
fresh_42 said:
Yes, of course, but what does it mean? What is the definition of ##\operatorname{Im} A=0##? Or ##= \{\vec{0}\}##, that isn't the point. Then compare it to what ##A=0## means.
Well, that means that the matrix ##A## maps everything to ##\vec{0}##. So of course the matrix matrix satisfies this. I just don't really know how I would show that the zero matrix is the only matrix that satisfies this.
 
Mr Davis 97 said:
Well, that means that the matrix ##A## maps everything to ##\vec{0}##. So of course the matrix matrix satisfies this. I just don't really know how I would show that the zero matrix is the only matrix that satisfies this.
##\operatorname{Im}A =0 \,\Longleftrightarrow\,A(v)=0 \,\forall\, v\in V \,\Longleftrightarrow\,A=0##
It's simply the definitions, i.e. it works in both directions.
 
Mr Davis 97 said:
Well, that means that the matrix ##A## maps everything to ##\vec{0}##. So of course the matrix matrix satisfies this. I just don't really know how I would show that the zero matrix is the only matrix that satisfies this.
You could find the columns of A by multiplying by the appropriate vector, e.g., (1,0,0,...,0), (0,1,0,...,0).
 
A corollary of Rank-nullity says that the rank of a matrix is the same as the order of the highest order nonzero minor in that matrix. Therefore, if a matrix has rank zero, it means that its every entry must be the zero element.

Alternatively, you could invoke the Rank-Nullity theorem. You could view the matrix ##A ## as a linear operator (there's another theorem that allows you to do this) ##A : U\to V ##.
The rank of ##A ## is then defined to be the dimension of the subspace ##A(U) =:\mbox{ran}A = \mbox{im}A##. R-N gives you
[tex] \mbox{dim}(U) = \mbox{dim}(\mbox{ker}A ) + \mbox{dim}(\mbox{ran}A)[/tex]
What is the only linear operator whose nullity is ##\mbox{dim}(U) ##? By nullity I mean the dimension of the kernel of ##A##.
 
Last edited: