Determining the recycle ratio in a PFR

• Thread starter MichelV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ratio
In summary, the problem involves an irreversible first-order liquid-phase reaction with an initial concentration of 10 mol/L and a conversion of 90% in a plug flow reactor. Two-thirds of the stream leaving the reactor is recycled to the reactor entrance, while maintaining the same throughput for the entire system. The goal is to determine the concentration of the reactant leaving the system. By rewriting the relevant equations and considering the flow balance, it can be determined that the concentration of the output is 10% of the input concentration.
MichelV

Homework Statement

For an irreversible first-order liquid-phase reaction (CA,0 = 10 mol/L) conversion is 90% in a plug flow reactor. If two-thirds of the stream leaving the reactor is recycled to the reactor entrance, and if the throughput to the whole reactor-recycle system is kept unchanged, what does this do to the concentration of reactant leaving the system?

Homework Equations

For a first-order reaction where ##\epsilon_A = 0## without a recycle:
CA / CA,0 = e-k##\tau## (i)

For a first-order reaction where ##\epsilon_A = 0## with a recycle:
## k \tau = (R+1) ln \left[ \frac{C_{A,0} + R C_{A,f}} {(R+1) C_{A,f}}\right] ## (ii)

The Attempt at a Solution

Rewriting equation (i) gives:
##k\tau = ln \left( \frac {C_{A,0}} {C_A} \right) = ln \left( \frac {10} {1} \right) = ln (10)##

And if I were to know the value of R i could fill in equation (ii) except for CA,f and combining equation (i) and (ii) would give me the opportunity to solve for CA,f and determine the conversion in the PFR with recycle to answer the question.

I think determining the value of R should have something to do with this line from the problem:
"If two-thirds of the stream leaving the reactor is recycled to the reactor entrance, and if the throughput to the whole reactor-recycle system is kept unchanged."

It's just that I don't really get what they mean by this. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
So for every m3 of feed (feeds to the whole system are the same in the original case and in the recyclce case) the recylce adds 2 m3 and sends the 3 m3 to the reactor input. At the output 2 m3 is recycled and 1 m3 is product.

You use symbols without explaining them and without differentiating them (##\tau, R##). What is ##\tau## and is it the same in both cases ?

MichelV said:

Homework Statement

For an irreversible first-order liquid-phase reaction (CA,0 = 10 mol/L) conversion is 90% in a plug flow reactor. If two-thirds of the stream leaving the reactor is recycled to the reactor entrance, and if the throughput to the whole reactor-recycle system is kept unchanged, what does this do to the concentration of reactant leaving the system?

Homework Equations

For a first-order reaction where ##\epsilon_A = 0## without a recycle:
CA / CA,0 = e-k##\tau## (i)

For a first-order reaction where ##\epsilon_A = 0## with a recycle:
## k \tau = (R+1) ln \left[ \frac{C_{A,0} + R C_{A,f}} {(R+1) C_{A,f}}\right] ## (ii)

The Attempt at a Solution

Rewriting equation (i) gives:
##k\tau = ln \left( \frac {C_{A,0}} {C_A} \right) = ln \left( \frac {10} {1} \right) = ln (10)##

And if I were to know the value of R i could fill in equation (ii) except for CA,f and combining equation (i) and (ii) would give me the opportunity to solve for CA,f and determine the conversion in the PFR with recycle to answer the question.

I think determining the value of R should have something to do with this line from the problem:
"If two-thirds of the stream leaving the reactor is recycled to the reactor entrance, and if the throughput to the whole reactor-recycle system is kept unchanged."

It's just that I don't really get what they mean by this. Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot!
The way I read this is that the reactant concentration of the output is 10% that of the input. So draw a flow diagram and write the flow balance equation. Then solve for the concentration of the output.

1. What is a PFR?

A PFR, or plug flow reactor, is a type of chemical reactor used in industrial processes. It consists of a long, cylindrical tube in which reactants are mixed and allowed to react as they flow through the tube.

2. Why is it important to determine the recycle ratio in a PFR?

Determining the recycle ratio in a PFR is important because it allows us to optimize the reactor's performance and efficiency. By adjusting the recycle ratio, we can control the flow of reactants and products, and improve the overall yield of the reaction.

3. How is the recycle ratio calculated in a PFR?

The recycle ratio in a PFR is calculated by dividing the flow rate of the recycled stream by the total flow rate of the reactants. This ratio can be expressed as a decimal or percentage.

4. What factors can affect the recycle ratio in a PFR?

The recycle ratio in a PFR can be affected by several factors, including the concentration and flow rate of the reactants, the size and design of the reactor, and the reaction kinetics. Changes in these factors can alter the optimal recycle ratio for a given reaction.

5. How can the recycle ratio be optimized in a PFR?

The recycle ratio in a PFR can be optimized by conducting experiments to determine the ideal ratio for a specific reaction, and then adjusting the flow rates accordingly. Computer simulations and mathematical models can also be used to predict the optimal recycle ratio for a given set of conditions.