1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

PFR model with n order reactions

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    • This is a homework problem that was posted in another forum, so there is no template
    I have this problem for my reactor design course and I need some help wrapping my head around it.

We have to design a plug flow reactor (PFR), which can be modeled as five equal volume CSTR's in series. The PFR has an inlet volumetric flow rate of ##q_{in}## which contains species ##A_i, i = 1...n## having concentration ##C_{Ai,in}## (also the whole PFR is operated at a constant temperature ##T_{ref}##).

The PFR is initially filled with solution containing species at concentration ##C_{Ai,0}##. The density of the inlet stream is constant at ##\rho##. There are ##m## reactions taking place within the PFR, each defined by the stoichemetric coefficients ##v_{i,j}## where ##i = 1...n, j = 1...m##.

Our goal is to design the smallest possible PFR to achieve steady state conversion of ##X_{A1} = 0.75##.

We are given a matrix of the stoichometric coefficients:
    [tex]
    v =
    \begin{bmatrix}
    -a & -b & 0 & d\\
    -a & 0 & 0 & d\\
    a & 0 & -c & -d\\
    0 & b & c & 0
    \end{bmatrix}
    [/tex]

Basic rate laws:
    [tex]
    r_{A1,1} = -kC_{A1}C_{A2}^2\\
    r_{A5,2} = kC_{A1}\\
    r_{A4,3} = -kC_{A4}^2\\
    r_{A3,4} = -kC_{A3}^2C_{A4}^2
    [/tex]
    All k = 1, the inlet volumetric flow rate is given and a vector of five values for ##C_{Ai,in}## and ##C_{Ai,0}## are given.

My approach so far is to create the net generation term being:

r = [-k*(c(1)*c(2)^2+c(1)^2+c(3)^2*c(4)^2-0.5*c(4)^2);
    k*(c(1)-c(1)*c(2)^2);
    k*(c(1)-c(4)^2);
    k*(c(1)*c(2)^2-c(1)^2+c(3)^2*c(4)^2-0.5*c(4)^2)]

But do I take the CSTR approach or the PFR approach? A general idea would be very helpful. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2015 #2
    You are approximating the PFR as a set of set of 5 CSTRs in s

4. Feb 20, 2015 #3
    Yes, I understand this concept, I would have 5 CSTRS which means I'll have a mass and mole balance equation written around each, but how do I incorporate the reactions that are occurring?

5. Feb 20, 2015 #4
    Are you saying that you don't know how to solve a CSTR in which chemical reactions are occurring?

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted