1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining when a mapping is an isomporphism

1. Nov 15, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose that ##\phi : \mathbb{Z}_n \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_n##, where the rule is ##\phi([a]_n) = [ka]_n##. Formulate and prove a conjecture that gives necessary and sufficient conditions on the positive integers ##k## and ##n## which would guarantee that ##\phi## is an isomorphism.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have already shown that is function is a homomorphism. After having worked with a few examples, I found that if either ##n## or ##k## can divide the other number, then ##\phi## would not be an isomorphism. When they say that they want me to give necessary and sufficient conditions, does that mean they want to prove that

"##\phi## is an isomorphism iff ##k## or ##n## do not divide each other?"

The only thing that troubles me is that there may be more restrictions upon ##k##.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2014 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

Consider the case [itex]n = 10[/itex] and [itex]k = 15[/itex]. Neither divides the other, and yet [itex][a]_{10} \mapsto [15a]_{10} = [5a]_{10}[/itex] is not invertible, because [itex][5]_{10}[/itex] does not have a multiplicative inverse.

Consider the case [itex]k = 1[/itex] and [itex]n \geq 1[/itex]. Then clearly [itex]1[/itex] divides [itex]n[/itex], but [itex][a]_n \mapsto [a]_n[/itex] is trivially invertible.

You need to think more carefully about the circumstances in which [itex]\phi[/itex] is invertible. To start with, you might consider what [itex]\phi^{-1}[/itex] can possibly be.

4. Nov 15, 2014 #3
    Actually, the group operation is not multiplication, but the addition operator ##\oplus##, which is defined as

Edit: For someone reason, latex on physicsforums has been very problematic for me. I had the break the following up into three segments of latex code.

##[a]_n## ##\oplus## ##[a+b]_n##

5. Nov 15, 2014 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

The reason that [itex][a]_{10} \mapsto [5]_{10}[a]_{10}[/itex] is not an invertible additive homomorphism is that [itex][5]_{10}[/itex] has no multiplicative inverse.

The operation which takes [itex][a]_n[/itex] to [itex]\phi([a]_n)[/itex] is not addition of k mod n, but multiplication by k mod n, and that is the operation you need to invert.

6. Nov 16, 2014 #5
    I don't quite understand. We have not even discussed multiplication with respect to the group ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, only the addition operator ##\oplus##. Why is ##[a]_{10}## being mapped to ##[5]_{10} [a]_{10}##?

7. Nov 16, 2014 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

This is the homomorphism you are dealing with:

Note that [itex][ka]_n = [k]_n[a]_n[/itex], because [tex](k + pn)(a + qn) = ka + n(kq + pa + pqn)[/tex].

8. Nov 18, 2014 #7
    I don't understand what this demonstrates.

This is my problem: at this point in my algebra course, it does not even make sense to write ##[k]_n [a]_n##, unless you wish to define this as ##[k]_n [a]_n := [k]_n \oplus [a]_n##, which I do not believe is your import.

So, for all intents and purposes, I do not know what it means to talk about multiplication with respect to ##\mathbb{Z}_n##, nor do I know about multiplicative inverses. My point is, I do not believe the problem requires these concepts, otherwise it would have introduced them.

9. Nov 21, 2014 #8
    Okay, this problem is still troubling my mind. Could someone else possibly take a look at it? My professor said I was on the right track with both of these conjectures:

##\phi## is an isomorphism iff ##k## is a prime number such that ##k \nmid n##

and

##\phi## is an isomorphism iff ##gcd(k,n) =1##.

However, I ran into difficulties with both proofs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted