1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining whether a function is an inner product

1. Nov 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    T/F: If ##T: \mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m## is a linear transformation and ##n>m##, then the function ##\langle v , w \rangle = T(v) \cdot T(w)## is an inner product on ##\mathbb{R}^n##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first three axioms of the inner product are straightforward. However, I am not sure how to show that ##\langle v , v \rangle = 0## iff ##v0##.

Actually, maybe I have something. If ##\langle v , v \rangle = 0## then ##T(v) \cdot T(v) = ||T(v)||^2 \implies ||T(v)|| = 0 \implies T(v) = 0##. Thus, v is zero iff the null space of T is only zero. This is only the case when T is invertible. However, n > m, so T can't be invertible. Thus, v doesn't have to be 0, and thus we don't have an inner product space. Is this on the right track?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Are you sure you got it right? I would start to think about counterexamples. E.g. what if ##v \in \ker(T) - \{0\}##?

4. Nov 21, 2016 #3
    I just added to my original post, so I am not sure if your post is after or before that post. Is my reasoning correct?

5. Nov 21, 2016 #4

fresh_42

You still have a ##u## where there probably should be a ##v##. The equation with the norm could be used to show ##<v,v> \geq 0##, but what about my question?

6. Nov 21, 2016 #5
    I'm not sure about your question, since I don't know whether I am right or wrong yet

7. Nov 21, 2016 #6

fresh_42

What happens to vectors in the kernel of ##T##? And there are non-zero ones, because ##n >m##. What have you to be sure about? You have ##\langle v,v \rangle = 0 \Rightarrow T(v)=0##. Does ##v=0## follow?

8. Nov 21, 2016 #7

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you've successfully proved that it cannot be an inner product.

9. Nov 21, 2016 #8
    ##v = 0## follows because n > m, which means that T is not invertible which means that ##Nul(T) \neq \{ 0 \}##. So it can't be an inner product, right?

10. Nov 22, 2016 #9

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

11. Nov 22, 2016 #10

fresh_42

The argument was correct: How to find a ##v \neq 0## such that ##\langle v,v \rangle = 0## which contradicts the "iff" in the condition. But then with such a ##v##:
    (added and highlighted by me)
    If you want to be very exact, then ##n > m## means that ##T## cannot be injective.
    Injectivity of linear functions ##f## is equivalent to ##Nul(f) = \{0\}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted