Inner product between velocity and acceleration is zero (parametric)

Lambda96
Homework Statement
I should show the following ##\bigl\langle \dot{\textbf{r}}'(t) ,\ddot{\textbf{r}}'(t) \bigr\rangle=0##
Relevant Equations
none
Hi,

I am having problems with task b

Bildschirmfoto 2023-12-02 um 15.20.27.png

I then defined the velocity vector and the acceleration vector as follows

##dot{\textbf{r}}'(t) = \frac{1}{||\dot{\textbf{r}}(t)||} \left(\begin{array}{c} \dot{r_1}(t) \\ \dot{r_2}(t) \end{array}\right)##

and

##ddot{\textbf{r}}'(t) = \frac{1}{||\dot{\textbf{r}}(t)||} \frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c} \dot{r_1}(t) \\ \dot{r_2}(t) \end{array}\right)##

Then I calculated the following:

##bigl\langle \dot{\textbf{r}}'(t) ,\ddot{\textbf{r}}'(t) \bigr\rangle=\dot{\textbf{r}}'(t) = \frac{1}{||\dot{\textbf{r}}(t)||^2} \left(\begin{array}{c} \dot{r_1}(t) \\ \dot{r_2}(t) \end{array}\right) \cdot \frac{d}{dt}\left(\begin{array}{c} \dot{r_1}(t) \\ \dot{r_2}(t) \end{array}\right)= \frac{1}{||\dot{\textbf{r}}(t)||^2} \Bigl( \dot{r_1}(t) \frac{d}{dt} \dot{r_1}(t) + \dot{r_2}(t) \frac{d}{dt} \dot{r_2}(t) \Bigr)=\frac{1}{||\dot{\textbf{r}}(t)||^2} \Bigl( \dot{r_1}(t) \ddot{r_1}(t) + \dot{r_2}(t) \ddot{r_2}(t) \Bigr)##

Unfortunately, I can't get any further. The following must apply ##\bigl\langle \dot{\textbf{r}}'(t) ,\ddot{\textbf{r}}'(t) \bigr\rangle=0## so that this is the case, the expression ##\dot{r_1}(t) \ddot{r_1}(t) + \dot{r_2}(t) \ddot{r_2}(t)=0##, but why is this the case?

My derivation is probably already wrong, but I don't know how else to solve the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know why my formula with Latex is not displayed correctly, does anyone know why?

In overleaf it is displayed correctly

In $$dot{\textbf{r}}'(t) = \frac{1}{||\dot{\textbf{r}}(t)||} \left(\begin{array}{c} \dot{r_1}(t) \\ \dot{r_2}(t) \end{array}\right)$$ a "\" is missing in the beginning: $$\dot{\textbf{r}}'(t) = \frac{1}{||\dot{\textbf{r}}(t)||} \left(\begin{array}{c} \dot{r_1}(t) \\ \dot{r_2}(t) \end{array}\right)$$

Likes Lambda96
Lambda96 said:
ddotr′(t)=1||r˙(t)||ddt(r1˙(t)r2˙(t))
no. The normalized acceleration vector should be the derivative of the normalized velocity vector.

Likes Lambda96
To add a hint to that, what you are looking for is a property of any vector of constant magnitude. Don’t get bogged down in the particular expression in terms of a normalized vector.

Likes Lambda96
Thank you Hill and Orodruin for your help 👍👍

I have now proceeded as follows

##\bigl\langle \dot{r}', \dot{r}' \bigr\rangle=\dot{r}' \cdot \dot{r}' =1##

Now I have simply formed the derivative ##\frac{d}{dt}##

##\ddot{r}' \cdot \dot{r}' + \dot{r}' \cdot \ddot{r}' =0##
##2 \dot{r}' \cdot \ddot{r}' =0##
##\dot{r}' \cdot \ddot{r}' =0##

Lambda96 said:
Thank you Hill and Orodruin for your help 👍👍

I have now proceeded as follows

##\bigl\langle \dot{r}', \dot{r}' \bigr\rangle=\dot{r}' \cdot \dot{r}' =1##

Now I have simply formed the derivative ##\frac{d}{dt}##

##\ddot{r}' \cdot \dot{r}' + \dot{r}' \cdot \ddot{r}' =0##
##2 \dot{r}' \cdot \ddot{r}' =0##
##\dot{r}' \cdot \ddot{r}' =0##
Indeed.

Likes Lambda96

1. Why is the inner product between velocity and acceleration zero in parametric equations?

When dealing with parametric equations, velocity and acceleration are represented as vectors. The inner product between two vectors is defined as the product of their magnitudes and the cosine of the angle between them. In this case, since velocity and acceleration are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other in parametric equations, the cosine of the angle between them is zero, resulting in an inner product of zero.

2. What does it mean for the inner product between velocity and acceleration to be zero?

A zero inner product between velocity and acceleration indicates that they are orthogonal to each other. In other words, the direction of acceleration does not affect the speed of the object, as the two vectors are independent of each other in terms of their effect on the motion of the object.

3. How does the inner product between velocity and acceleration affect the motion of an object?

Since the inner product between velocity and acceleration is zero in parametric equations, it means that the speed of the object is not influenced by the direction of acceleration. This implies that the object can change its direction without affecting its speed, leading to curved motion paths.

4. Can the inner product between velocity and acceleration be non-zero in certain cases?

Yes, the inner product between velocity and acceleration can be non-zero in cases where the two vectors are not orthogonal to each other. This would imply that the direction of acceleration has an impact on the speed of the object, causing changes in both speed and direction of motion.

5. How is the concept of the inner product between velocity and acceleration useful in physics?

The concept of the inner product between velocity and acceleration being zero in parametric equations helps in understanding the relationship between speed and direction of motion. It allows for the analysis of how changes in acceleration affect the motion of an object, particularly in cases where speed and direction are independent of each other.