Determining whether or not (a,0,0) and (a,b,0) are subspaces of R3

• Thread starter tnorman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspaces
As I said above, the set of all (a, b, 0) is in fact the xy-plane which is a vector space. If you take any two vectors in the xy-plane and add them, you are still in the xy-plane. If you multiply a vector in the xy-plane by a scalar, you are still in the xy-plane. You can easily check that the axioms for a vector space are satisfied.
tnorman

Homework Statement

"use theorem (below) to determine which of the following are subspaces of R3:

(a,0,0) and (a,b,0)

Homework Equations

The theorem: W is a subspace of V iff:

- u and v are vectors in W, u + v is in W
- k is a scalar, u is a vector in W, then ku is in W

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that I understood that (a,0,0) was a subspace of R3 since if we take (a,0,0) and (b,0,0) we get (a+b,0,0) which is still in the subspace, the solution says that this is a subspace of R3 but then I thought the same idea would hold for (a,b,0) since if we take (a,b,0) and (c,d,0) we would get (a+b,c+d,0) but the solution sheet says it is not, however my solution sheet doesn't elaborate on why, its just a yes/no answer.

(PS I also thought multiplying by a scalar would hold too)

Can anyone help me out? I having a heck of a time truly understanding vector spaces. Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. The set of all (a,b,0) is a vector subspace of R3. In fact, it is exactly the xy-plane R2 as visualized in R3.

Likewise the set of all (a,0,0) is simply the x-axis as visualized in R3.

It's actually a much easier concept that you'd expect. I remember struggling on it somewhat too, but if you just follow the definitions of what a vector subspace or vector space is, and stick to them when you're trying to show something is a vect. space, you'll be fine (as you were above.)

My first reaction was "No, (a, 0, 0) is not a subspace of R3, it is a vector in R3", but what you really mean is:

Is V= {(a, 0, 0)| a a real number}, with the same definitions of addition and scalar multiplication as in R3, a subspace of R3?

Use the definition of "subspace"! It is clearly a subset of R3 but does it satify the conditions for a vector space? Fortunately most of the conditions are automatically satisfied because because addition and scalar multiplication already satisfy the necessary condition in R3. All you really need to do is show that the set is closed under those operations. If a and b are real numbers then (a, 0, 0) and (b, 0, 0) are in V. Is (a, 0, 0)+ (b, 0, 0) in V? That is, is it of the form (c, 0, 0) for some real number c? Similarly, if a and x are real numbers so that (a, 0, 0) is in V, is the scalar product, x(a, 0, 0) in V?

Right but he doesn't have a problem with (a,0,0), he already knows and proved it as he stated above, what he wants to know is how is it that vectors of the form (a,b,0) are not a subspace? because the ACTUAL Answer in the TEXTBOOK IS it ISN'T a subspace.

FabricWarp said:
Right but he doesn't have a problem with (a,0,0), he already knows and proved it as he stated above, what he wants to know is how is it that vectors of the form (a,b,0) are not a subspace? because the ACTUAL Answer in the TEXTBOOK IS it ISN'T a subspace.

His book is wrong.

Question 1: What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies three properties: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector. In other words, it is a space that is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication and contains the origin.

Question 2: How do you determine if (a,0,0) is a subspace of R3?

To determine if (a,0,0) is a subspace of R3, we need to check if it satisfies the three properties of a subspace. Since the set only contains one vector, closure under addition and scalar multiplication are automatically satisfied. We also know that the zero vector is (0,0,0), which is contained in (a,0,0). Therefore, (a,0,0) is a subspace of R3.

Question 3: What about (a,b,0)?

Similar to (a,0,0), we need to check if (a,b,0) satisfies the three properties of a subspace. Closure under addition is satisfied since the sum of two vectors in the form (a,b,0) will result in another vector in the same form. Closure under scalar multiplication is also satisfied. However, (0,0,0) is not contained in (a,b,0) unless a and b are both equal to 0. Therefore, (a,b,0) is not a subspace of R3.

Question 4: Can there be other subspaces of R3?

Yes, there can be many other subspaces of R3. For example, any plane that passes through the origin in R3 is a subspace, as it contains the origin and is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication. Other examples include the x-axis, y-axis, z-axis, and the line y=x.

Question 5: Why is it important to determine if a set is a subspace?

Determining if a set is a subspace is important because it helps us understand the structure and properties of a vector space. It also allows us to determine if a set of vectors can be used to span the entire space, which is useful in many applications in mathematics and science.