1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining whether the map is an isomorphism

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let F be the set of all functions f mapping R into R that have derivatives of all orders. Determine whether p is an isomorphism of the first binary structure with the second.

1. [tex]<F, +>[/tex] with [tex]<R, +>[/tex] where p(f) = f'(0)

2. [tex]<F, +>[/tex] with [tex]<F, +>[/tex] where p(f)(x) = [tex]\int^{x}_{0} f(t)dt[/tex]

3. [tex]<F, +>[/tex] with [tex]<F, +>[/tex] where p(f)(x) = [tex]d/dx \int^{x}_{0} f(t)dt[/tex]

4. [tex]<F, \cdot>[/tex] with [tex]<F, \cdot>[/tex] where p(f)(x) = [tex]x \cdot f(x)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Some ideas I have:

I think #1 is false, since f=x and f=x+1 can have the same derivative at 0. Isomorphism requires that p be bijective.

#3 is true. Simplifying gives p(f)(x)=f(t) for all f in F and x in R.

I'm not so sure about #2, and #4... The book says they are both false, but I don't really understand it. I'd appreciate any hints/suggestions.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It says isomorphism, not just bijection. So for number 3 you also need to show that it preserves the binary structure, i.e. p(f+g)=p(f)+p(g)

For number 4 I don't understand the notation. What is x(x) supposed to be?

For 2, there are two questions: Is p a bijection, and does p preserve addition? Why don't you try a couple examples for [tex]f(x)[/tex] to get a feel for what p is doing
  4. Sep 14, 2010 #3
    I fixed #4. Sorry about that.

For #3, p(f) = f(t), so p is an identity, right? So p(f+g) = f(t) + g(t) = p(f) + p(g).
  5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, so let's look at number 2. There are two questions to answer:

Is p(f+g)=p(f)+p(g)?

And is p(f) a bijection?
  6. Sep 14, 2010 #5
    p preserves addition, but it's definitely not a bijection... I don't think it's onto. i.e. [tex]p(f)(x)=\int^{x}_{0} f(t) dt \neq x^2[/tex] for any f in F even though [tex]x^2[/tex] is in R...

Does that make sense?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook