Determining whether the map is an isomorphism

In summary, the conversation discusses determining whether a given function is an isomorphism of various binary structures. It is determined that option #1 is false due to the requirement of p being bijective for isomorphism. Option #3 is proven to be true by showing that p preserves the binary structure. The notation in option #4 is corrected, and it is determined that p is not a bijection in option #2 even though it preserves addition.
DPMachine

Homework Statement

Let F be the set of all functions f mapping R into R that have derivatives of all orders. Determine whether p is an isomorphism of the first binary structure with the second.

1. [tex]<F, +>[/tex] with [tex]<R, +>[/tex] where p(f) = f'(0)

2. [tex]<F, +>[/tex] with [tex]<F, +>[/tex] where p(f)(x) = [tex]\int^{x}_{0} f(t)dt[/tex]

3. [tex]<F, +>[/tex] with [tex]<F, +>[/tex] where p(f)(x) = [tex]d/dx \int^{x}_{0} f(t)dt[/tex]

4. [tex]<F, \cdot>[/tex] with [tex]<F, \cdot>[/tex] where p(f)(x) = [tex]x \cdot f(x)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Some ideas I have:

I think #1 is false, since f=x and f=x+1 can have the same derivative at 0. Isomorphism requires that p be bijective.

#3 is true. Simplifying gives p(f)(x)=f(t) for all f in F and x in R.

I'm not so sure about #2, and #4... The book says they are both false, but I don't really understand it. I'd appreciate any hints/suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
It says isomorphism, not just bijection. So for number 3 you also need to show that it preserves the binary structure, i.e. p(f+g)=p(f)+p(g)

For number 4 I don't understand the notation. What is x(x) supposed to be?

For 2, there are two questions: Is p a bijection, and does p preserve addition? Why don't you try a couple examples for [tex]f(x)[/tex] to get a feel for what p is doing

I fixed #4. Sorry about that.

For #3, p(f) = f(t), so p is an identity, right? So p(f+g) = f(t) + g(t) = p(f) + p(g).

Ok, so let's look at number 2. There are two questions to answer:

Is p(f+g)=p(f)+p(g)?

And is p(f) a bijection?

p preserves addition, but it's definitely not a bijection... I don't think it's onto. i.e. [tex]p(f)(x)=\int^{x}_{0} f(t) dt \neq x^2[/tex] for any f in F even though [tex]x^2[/tex] is in R...

Does that make sense?

1. What is an isomorphism?

An isomorphism is a function between two mathematical structures that preserves the structure of the objects and the relationships between them. In simpler terms, it is a bijective (one-to-one and onto) mapping that preserves operations and properties.

2. How do you determine if a map is an isomorphism?

To determine if a map is an isomorphism, you need to check if it is bijective, meaning it is both injective (one-to-one) and surjective (onto). Then, you need to verify if it preserves the structure and relationships between the objects in the two structures being mapped.

3. What are some properties preserved by isomorphisms?

Some properties preserved by isomorphisms include the number of elements, the order of elements, and the group or ring structure. Isomorphisms also preserve properties such as associativity, commutativity, and distributivity.

4. Can a map be an isomorphism between different types of structures?

Yes, a map can be an isomorphism between different types of structures as long as the structures have similar properties and relationships that can be preserved. For example, a map can be an isomorphism between a group and a ring if they have similar operations and properties that can be preserved.

5. What is the importance of determining whether a map is an isomorphism?

Determining if a map is an isomorphism is important because it allows us to identify structures that are essentially the same, even if they appear different at first glance. This can help us better understand and compare mathematical structures, and make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts.