1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalization and Unitary Matrices

1. Feb 29, 2016 #1
    \1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let B = ##
    \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} -1 & i & 1 \\ -i & 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 \end{array} \right]
    ##. Find a Unitary transformation to diagonalize B.

2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have found both the Eigenvalues (0, 2, -1) and the Eigenvectors, which are ##<0,i,1>,\ \ <2,-i,1>,## and ##<-1,-i,1>##. Vectors 1 and 3 are both already normalized, but I normalized vector two to be ##<1,\frac{-i}{2},\frac{1}{2}>##.

They are now orthonormal, but the matrix formed from them,

$$U =
    \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 1 & -1\\ i & \frac{-i}{2} & -i \\ 1 & \frac{1}{2} & 1 \end{array} \right]$$

is not a unitary matrix. It will still succesfully diagonalize B, but I don't know what I've done wrong. Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2016 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The first and third eigenvectors aren't normalized, nor is the last one you show. For example, the magnitude of the first vector is ##\sqrt{2}##. The magnitude of a normalized vector is 1.

4. Mar 1, 2016 #3
    Oh shoot, yeah. My "norm" function in maple was spitting out ones, but I realized that I was using the wrong one.

It looks like two out of my three vectors are fine and normalized (## V_1 = <-1, -i, 1>, V_2 = <1, \frac{-i}{2}. \frac{1}{2}>##), but the third one, ##V_3 = < 0, -i, 1> ## has a magnitude of zero, so I don't know how to normalize it.... I'm not sure where to go from here.

5. Mar 1, 2016 #4

Mark44

No, they are not normalized. For a complex vector v, ##||v|| = \sqrt{v \cdot \bar{v}}##. ##||v_1|| = \sqrt{3}##, so it's clearly not normalized.
    No. The only vector with a magnitude of zero is the zero vector. If Maple is giving you the wrong values, do them by hand.

6. Mar 1, 2016 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you sure 2 and -1 are eigenvalues?

7. Mar 1, 2016 #6

Mark44

That's a very good question.

8. Mar 1, 2016 #7
    Yep, about that I'm certain.

$$(Q - \lambda I) =
    \left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 1-\lambda & i & 1\\ -i & -\lambda & 0 \\ 1 & 0 & -\lambda \end{array} \right]$$
    Therefore ##det(Q - \lambda I) = 0## is
    $$(1-\lambda)(-\lambda)(-\lambda) + \lambda + \lambda = 0$$
    which is simplified to
    $$ \lambda(\lambda - 2)(\lambda + 1) = 0$$
    Therefore, ##\lambda = 0, 2, -1##.

9. Mar 1, 2016 #8
    Mark44, thank you so much for your help! I'd forgotten that when finding the norm of a complex vector, you need the conjugate. I'm getting the right answer now.

Thank you!

10. Mar 1, 2016 #9

Samy_A

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In your matrix, the term in column 1, row 1 is -1, not 1 as you assume here.

11. Mar 1, 2016 #10
    Oh wow. That's a typo in my original post, the number in the question is 1.

12. Mar 1, 2016 #11

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maple gives the correct answer if the command is used correctly.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted