Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Diagonalization of a matrix with repeated eigenvalues

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    Hey guys,
    I know its possible to diagonalize a matrix that has repeated eigenvalues, but how is it done? Do you simply just have two identical eigenvectors??
    Cheers
    Brent

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, try an example -- the simplest you can think of. How about the identity matrix? Can you diagonalize it? What are its eigenvectors?

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    Ok, well... i would get an eigenvalue of 1, with a multiplicity of 3. Alright, so when solving for my eigenvalues, by plugging 1 into my matrix A-(lamda)I ; i would just be left with 0's. How can i get eigenvalues from this?? I appreciate your help by the way...

5. Oct 2, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Am I misunderstanding something? If you know what eigenvalues are, then you must know how to find them in this simple case. If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of matrix A, then [itex]A-\lambda I[/itex] is NOT invertible (since the equation A- \lambda I= 0 does not have a unique solution) and so det(A- \lambda I)= 0. Since you are finding the eigenvalues, you do NOT yet know that [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] so you are NOT "left with 0's. In this case, that equation is [itex](1- \lamba)^3= 0[/itex] which obviously has 1 as a triple root.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook