1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalization of a matrix with repeated eigenvalues

1. Oct 1, 2006 #1
    Hey guys,
    I know its possible to diagonalize a matrix that has repeated eigenvalues, but how is it done? Do you simply just have two identical eigenvectors??
    Cheers
    Brent

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, try an example -- the simplest you can think of. How about the identity matrix? Can you diagonalize it? What are its eigenvectors?

4. Oct 1, 2006 #3
    Ok, well... i would get an eigenvalue of 1, with a multiplicity of 3. Alright, so when solving for my eigenvalues, by plugging 1 into my matrix A-(lamda)I ; i would just be left with 0's. How can i get eigenvalues from this?? I appreciate your help by the way...

5. Oct 2, 2006 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Am I misunderstanding something? If you know what eigenvalues are, then you must know how to find them in this simple case. If [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an eigenvalue of matrix A, then [itex]A-\lambda I[/itex] is NOT invertible (since the equation A- \lambda I= 0 does not have a unique solution) and so det(A- \lambda I)= 0. Since you are finding the eigenvalues, you do NOT yet know that [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] so you are NOT "left with 0's. In this case, that equation is [itex](1- \lamba)^3= 0[/itex] which obviously has 1 as a triple root.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?