1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagonalize a coupled damped driven oscillator

1. Jan 31, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to follow a paper, https://arxiv.org/pdf/1410.0710v1.pdf, I want to get the results obtained in equations 5 and 6 but can't quite work out how eq 3 has been diagonalized.

2. Relevant equations
    eq 3

3. The attempt at a solution
    As the system is driven i thought I'd try a solution first and then try to rearrange into an eigenvalue problem. I tried the solution ##x=Ae^{i\omega t}## where ##\omega## is the driving frequency and A some constant, I tried this solution as the system will oscillate at the driving frequency?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2017 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that eq 3 (in the [ ] at the beginning) should be [itex]\frac{d^2}{dt^2} + \gamma \frac{d}{dt} + \Omega^2 _0 [/itex]

4. Feb 1, 2017 #3
    I didn't even notice that mistake and have been reading it as you have corrected. Would you suggest trying a solution and rearranging is the best method?

5. Feb 1, 2017 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

on further review, maybe they don't treat the damping initially, [itex] \gamma [/itex] doesn't appear in the diagonalized matrix.....

6. Feb 5, 2017 #5
    Yes you're right, if i don't consider damping I get the correct expressions for the eigenvalues, why would they not include the damping term? Also I'm struggling to understand the transformation matrix U, Is this a rotating frame transformation?

7. Feb 5, 2017 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

[itex] U [/itex] allows for a normal mode analysis..., thus decoupling the equations of motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted