Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diagrammatic Tensor Notation from the Beginning

1. Jun 3, 2010 #1
    I've posted this in the Geometry & Topology section, but I believe it will get many more views here, so I'm posting a link

Pictures here:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=407776

---

I really liked Penrose's diagrammatic way of writing tensor algebra, so I spent a while learning the basic notation. Unfortunately, it took a very long time for me to learn this because there is so little info on it to begin with. I also didn't see much mention of how to use the notation for doing numerical computations.

So since I want to be able to use the notation for everything that I should be able to do with tensors, I figured that I'd start at the very beginning of algebra and use the notation. My plan is to write a little tutorial that teaches everything from how to write numbers, vectors & covectors to how to take integrals.

The notation for adding tensors is mine as far as I know, and I've changed some other notation here and there.

I have 14 pages done, but they are very rough. So far they are very basic ideas. Should I continue with this? Any suggestions for cleaning it up? I want to make it as short & simple as possible while still getting the point across.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 3, 2010 #2
    Can you teach me how to konw it

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook