Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diamagnetism of Pyrolytic carbon

1. Mar 11, 2006 #1
    We know that Pyrolytic carbon is Diamagnetic only in one plane of direction but is it possible to cut it into slices with its cleavage to transparent thickness and then take each of the Pyrolytic carbon transparent sheets and laminate each of the layers into criss cross cleavages so that each thin layer is in 45 degrees in cleavage direction so that the sum of all the laminated layers will have an omni directional cleavage and possibly an omni directional Diamagnetic field.

Also, could a LASER cutting tool cut such a thin sheet of Pyrolytic carbon to transparent thickness, If not then say 5 microns or less?:bugeye:

Note: The most strongly diamagnetic material is Bismuth χ = −166×10−6, although pyrolitic graphite may have a susceptibility of χ = −400×10−6 in one plane.

If pyrolitic graphite can be made Diamagnetic omni directional by the above method it will be the strongest Diamagnetic substance at room temperature and Bismuth will be history.

Also, Does anybody know of any company that gives free samples of Diamagnetic pyrolitic graphite for product evaluation, I intend to carry out the above experiment to see if the omni directional diamagnetic field exists.

Another question is, does Diamagnetic Graphite increase in Diamagnetism with Tc?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2006 #2
    This could be worth a Science Grant couldn't it?:bugeye:

4. Mar 13, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This sentence is extremely unclear. Would you please elaborate ?

5. Mar 13, 2006 #4
    It's interesting, If we looked into the Laminated pyrolitic graphite sheets in which each sheet is 45 degrees to the next layer the cleavage appears Helical from above or below looking through all the layers at once.

This makes me curious if Nano tubes are strongly Diamagnetic at their ends or when your looking straight down on Nano Tubes stacked in parallel (Paralleled Vertical Helixes). :bugeye:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  6. Mar 13, 2006 #5
    Why do you think you're going to form a nano tube?

7. Mar 13, 2006 #6
    No, I was comparing Spiralism/Helicals of the two Carbons and associating Carbon/Graphite Spirals with possible omni directional Diamagnetism. (intuition only).

Diamagnetic pyrolitic graphite has linear Cleavages from its growth during manufacturing process, also known as HOPG or Highly Ordered Pyrolitic Graphite.

If these HOPG layers are sliced with its cleavage it can be made into very thin sheets, if each sheet is turned 45 degrees when stacked for lamination the sum of the stack would as opposed to its Linear Cleavage would appear to have a spiral or Helical effect while looking down through the layers when 90 degrees opposed to its cleavage, The diagram above can give you an idea as to orienting the Linear cleavages in any radial degree that is desired, if each slice can be made say a micron in thickness this would make the stacked radial cleavage pattern more dense with the effect possibly adding to its diamagnetic enhancements, the diamagnetism in pyrolitic graphite is only diamagnetic in one plane,(in the direction of its cleavage)
    If the cleavages can be omni directional then its possible that its diamagnetic direction will also change.:bugeye:

8. Mar 18, 2006 #7
    Hello Intuitive.
    It is nice to see some creative interest and ideas, but...before you go too far let me point out something.

The enhanced diamagnetism from pyrolytic carbon is NOT in the direction along the cleavage, but rather in the direction orthogonal to the cleavage. (It is the thermal conductivity that is enhanced in the direction of the cleavage).

The diamagnetic susceptibility however along the cleavage is not zero, but is still considerable, about -75 x 10^-6 versus -400 x 10^-6 perpendicular to the plane.
    The properties of this material are, nevertheless, unusual, providing unique areas of applicability (as the link pointed out).
    However, you may now want to alter your plans...:wink:

Creator

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
  9. Mar 19, 2006 #8
    Thanks for pointing out the oversite, I can not change the previous posts so I will make sure I note your advice for future postings.:bugeye:

10. Jan 28, 2009 #9
    I am also hoping to find a company that could give me a small sample. I am a student working with my school's physics club on a magnetism project. I don't think we need very much. We want to map out the specific way magnetic fields of our magnets react to the pyrolytic carbon for one of our projects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?