1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dictionary Order Topology on ##\mathbb{R}^2## Metrizable?

1. Feb 1, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am trying to show that there exists a metric on ##\mathbb{R}^2## that induces the dictionary order topology on the plane.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If I recall correctly, vertical intervals in the plane form basis elements for the dictionary order topology. With this in mind, I am trying to define a metric such that the corresponding ##\epsilon##-balls are vertical strips. The only function that I could come up with is

$$d((x,y),(w,z)) = \begin{cases} \infty ,& x \neq w \\
    |y-z| ,& x=w \\ \end{cases}
    $$

Based on my work, it seems that this is a well-defined metric. However, somehow I feel that I am cheating by using ##\infty##. Is this in fact a valid metric?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2017 #2
    Okay, I think I may have a way to "fix" this, though I would still be interested in knowing if the above defines a valid metric. When dealing with a metric induced topology whose basis elements are ##\epsilon##-balls, it suffices to look at those ##\epsilon##-balls with radius less than ##1##. Now, if we replace ##\infty## in the above function and confine ourselves to dealing with ##\epsilon##-balls of radius less than ##1## , then the metric will restrict the balls from containing points "off" the vertical line.

More precisely, if ##(a,b) \in B((x,y), \epsilon)## and ##a = x##, then ##d((x,y),(a,b)) = 1 > \epsilon##, a contradiction. So, if ##(a,b)## is a point in the ball, then necessarily ##a \neq x## and therefore ##d((x,y),(a,b)) = |y-a| < \epsilon## or ##a \in (y-\epsilon,y+\epsilon)##. This, of course, suggests that ##B((x,y),\epsilon) = \{x\} \times (y-\epsilon,y+\epsilon)##, which is a basis element of the dictionary order topology. In this case, ##1## effectively acts as ##\infty##.

As I mentioned above, I would still be interested in knowing whether the function in my first post defines a valid metric.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted