1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence of a Sequence in a Finer Topology

1. Jan 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Clearly if a sequence of points ##\{x_n\}## in some space ##X## with some topology, then the sequence will also converge when ##X## is endowed with any coarser topology. I suspect this doesn't hold for endowment of ##X## with a finer topology, since a finer topology amounts to more open sets, decreasing the likelihood of convergence. However, I would like to build a counterexample to settle this matter.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I am having a embarrassing confusion with quantifiers. The definition of convergence I am working is the following: ##x_n## converges to ##x## if and only if for every open neighborhood ##U## of ##x##, there exists ##N \in \mathbb{N}## such that ##x_n \in U## for all ##n \ge N##. Which of the two is the proper negation:

(1) ##x_n## does not converge to ##x## iff there exists an open neighborhood ##U## of ##x## such that ##x_n \notin U## for some ##n \ge N##

(2) ##x_n## does not converge to ##x## iff there exists an open neighborhood ##U## of ##x## such that ##x_n \notin U## for every ##n \ge N##

Once this is settled, my goal is to show that the sequence ##\frac{1}{n}## does not converge to ##0## in the lower limit topology (note, I don't actually know if this is the case; but I conjectured it on the basis that it is the simplest example).

EDIT: Perhaps this is easier. Just consider the indiscrete topology on ##\mathbb{R}##. Then every number in ##\mathbb{R}## is a limit of ##\frac{1}{n}##, but the sequence ##\frac{1}{n}## in the standard topology only has ##0## as its limit.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 5, 2017 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Neither of these are right.
    xn does not converge to x iff there exists an open set U containing x such that for every N>0, there exists n>N with xn not in U.
    This is a good example to work with (sort of trivial, but that is ok for an example). Find a sequence that doesn't converge in the standard topology and show that it converges in the indiscrete topology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted