1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Metrizability of a certain topology

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1

radou

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let U be the topology on R^2 whose subbase is given with the set of all lines in R^2. Is U metrizable?

3. The attempt at a solution

If the set of all lines (let's call it L) in R^2 is a subbase of U, then the family of all finite intersections of L forms a basis for U. Obviously the open sets in this topology are sets of points in R^2. Now, my first thought was that the topology Ud generated by the discrete metric coincides with the topology U. An open ball in the discrete metric space is given with K(x, r) = {y in R^2 satisfying d(x, y) < r}, and its "shape" depends on the value of r. For r <= 1, it is a single point set {x}, and for r > 1, it is R^2.

Unless I'm missing something here, it seems to me that U = Ud, so U is metrizable.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    You are correct. Every point of the plane is the intersection of some two appropriately chosen lines in the plane, so every single-point set is a basic open set of the topology; hence it must be the discrete topology.

4. Aug 24, 2010 #3

radou

Homework Helper

Thanks again. :)

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook