Did I do this counting problem correct?

In summary, a switchboard in a stereo store allows a customer to choose any combination of components, including one of each type, and the product rule says that each choice is independent of the other choices.
mr_coffee

Homework Statement

The question says:
A chain of stereo stores is offering a special price on a complete set of components (reciever, compact disc player, speakers). A purchaser is offered a chocie of manufactuer for each component:
Reciever: Kenwood, Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Yamaha
Compact disc player: Onkyo, Pioneer, Sony, Panasonic
Speakers: Boston, Infinity, Polk.

A switchboard dispaly in the store allows a customer to hook together any selection of components (consisting of one of each type.) Use the product rules to answer the following questions:

a. In how many ways can one component of each type be selected?

b. in how manyways can components be selected if both the reciever and the compact disc player are to be Sony.

c. In how many ways can components be selected if none is to be Soney?

d. In how many ways can a selection be made if at least one Sony component is to be included?

e. If someone flips switches on the selection in a completely random fashion, what is the probability that the system selected contains at least one Sony component?
Exactly one Sony component?

Homework Equations

Use the product rule.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) you must choose one from each group. Each choice is independent of the other choices of equipment. so of the first group (receivers) we have 5 choices, and of those five choices we have 5 different ways of choosing one of those items. and the same for the rest of the groups (4 ways to chose cd players, and 3 ways to chose the speakers). So we just multiply them together to get how many choices there are.
5*4*3 = 60

b)I think I know what it is asking and if I am correct...if the receiver and the cd player have to be sony then the only thing changing is the speakers and there are 3 so there are altogether 3 different choices.

c) 4*3*3 because if you take out the sony for the receivers you still have 4 left and if you take the sony out of the cd players you have 3 left and the other has 3 left.

d)when it says AT LEAST 1 must be sony then you must account for the combos that have 2 sonys as well.
So in this case if you chose the first category to be a sony we must account for the possibility that a cd player could be a sony so we take the whole number of items in the cd player category times the number of items in the last category. 1*4*3

and if we choose the 2 category to be a sony we must account for the possibility that a receiver can be a sony as well so we get 5*1*3.

So if there are 2 possible combinations, 1*4*3 and 5*1*3 would the answer be
1*4*3 + 5*1*3?

THANKS!

Physics news on Phys.org
For d), no. You still haven't counted the possibilities where both are Sony. The rest look ok. But you haven't tried e) yet. BTW shouldn't d) be a) minus c)??

Thanks for the responce:

well D = a - c = 60 - 36 = 24

So if they were both soney's it would be
(1)(1)(3);
so that would be:
3 + (1)(4)(3) + (5)(1)(3) = 30;The question says if AT LEAST 1, meaning, I don't have to count for if they are both do I? that would be counting what if they were ALL soney right?
Because I'm counting:
First case: Soney is selected for the reciever (at least 1 is satsified)
(1)(4)(3)
second case: Soney is selected for the disk palyer (at least 1 is satsified)
(5)(1)(3)
Right?

if I include another count, i would be double counting because (1)(4)(3) in that middle 4, soney is one of the options the user can pick.
In (5)(1)(3) that 5, soney is one of the options the user could pick.

they don't match up...am I calculating them bothing being soney wrong? is it not (1)(1)(3)?

For e i have:

The probability of a combination containing only 1 sony is .35. you can do it the same as before where we count how many choices contain only 1 sony (21) and we divide it by the total number of combinations (60) or...
there are 2 catagories that we can make have the 1 sony. If we choose the receiver to have the sony we then need the cd player not to be a sony so we multiply those odds
(1/5)*(3/4) = (3/20)
and then iff we choose the cd player to have the sony we do the same with the receiver category not to be a sony.
(4/5)*(1/4) = (1/5)
we then add these together
(3/20)+(1/5) = .35

Last edited:
You are already double counting if you add 1*4*3 and 5*1*3. Think about it. They both include two Sony cases. Which is what I meant to say, sorry to be vague. The two one Sony cases are 1*3*3 and 4*1*3 and the double Sony case is 1*1*3. That does add up to a)-c). e) looks good. I think you've got it.

Last edited:

1. How do I know if my answer to a counting problem is correct?

To verify if your answer to a counting problem is correct, you can follow the steps of your solution and check if you have correctly applied the counting principles and formulas. You can also use a calculator or online tool to check your answer.

2. What should I do if I get a different answer than the one provided in the answer key?

If you get a different answer than the one provided in the answer key, you should double-check your solution and make sure you have not made any calculation errors. If you are still unsure, you can ask your teacher or a friend to check your work.

3. Can I use a different method to solve a counting problem?

Yes, there are often multiple methods to solve a counting problem. However, it is important to make sure that the method you choose is appropriate for the given problem and that you understand why it works.

4. How can I improve my counting skills?

To improve your counting skills, you can practice solving different types of counting problems and familiarize yourself with various counting principles and formulas. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling with a specific concept.

5. Is it necessary to show my work when solving a counting problem?

Yes, it is important to show your work when solving a counting problem. This not only helps you keep track of your steps and calculations, but it also allows others to understand and verify your solution. Additionally, showing your work may earn you partial credit even if your final answer is incorrect.