1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Did i find the derivative correctly?

1. May 7, 2006 #1
    Hi there,
    Just wondering if i found dy/dx of (x+1)^2/1+x^2 = 2(x+1)/2x and also the second derivative d^2 y/dx^2=(x+1)/2
    Is that correct?? I don't think it is.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2006 #2
    No its not the derivative of a quotient is not equal to the quotient of the derivatives. Have you learned the quotient rule for differentiating these kinds of functions?

4. May 7, 2006 #3
    Aww i have to use the quotient rule?? *sigh*
    Well we didn't go that far:( More work! Thanks anyway!

5. May 7, 2006 #4

Curious3141

Homework Helper

Well, you don't *have* to. You can use one of multiple methods,

for example, partial fraction decomposition into elementary functions with complex factors in the denominator.

Or even substitute [tex]x = tan \theta[/tex] simplify with trig identities first, then observe that [tex]\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{\frac{dy}{d\theta}}{\frac{dx}{d\theta}}[/tex]

There are many way to skin a cat. :wink:

6. May 8, 2006 #5

dav2008

Gold Member

Have you learned the product rule? The quotient rule is just a special case of the product rule.

Your function is a product of [tex](x+1)^2[/tex] and [tex](1+x^2)^{-1}[/tex]

Last edited: May 8, 2006
  7. May 8, 2006 #6
    Yeah we've learnt the product rule, chain and all....just that we have to graph that, but doing it without a graphics calculator.
    I think i get it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?