Did I make the velocity vs time graph correctly?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the slope for each segment of a distance-time graph, describing the motion of the object in each segment, and creating a velocity vs time graph using the slopes. It also addresses concerns about the acceleration-time graph and clarifies that sudden changes in velocity result in large accelerations.
ziltoid

Homework Statement

a) Calculate the slope for each segment
b) Describe the motion the object experiences in each segment
c) Make a velocity vs time graph using the slopes
d) Make a acceleration time graph

(for the distance-time graph)
Segment A slope of zero
Segment B constant slope of +1
Segment C slope of zero
Segment D sharp change to slope of -3
Segment E sudden change to slope of zero
Segment F constant slope of -2/5
Segment G slope of zero

Homework Equations

slope = deltaY/deltaX
acceleration = deltaV/deltaT

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fine on a and b, but for c my graph just has horizontal segments at varying y values that correspond to the earlier velocities (slopes). I think this may be wrong. Anyway if it isn't does that mean that my acceleration-time graph will be a load of horizontal lines since all the velocity changes were sudden and constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
Deleted.

Last edited:
ziltoid said:

I'm fine on a and b, but for c my graph just has horizontal segments at varying y values that correspond to the earlier velocities (slopes).

That is correct. The Velocity in each section is the slope of the distance/time graph in that section.

...does that mean that my acceleration-time graph will be a load of horizontal lines since all the velocity changes were sudden and constant?

No. The acceleration at any instant is equal to the slope of the velocity/time graph at that instant. Sudden or rapid change in velocity mean large acceleration. The Velocity graph has instantaneous changes in velocity followed by periods of constant velocity. This means infinite acceleration for very short periods of time followed by periods of zero acceleration.

Last edited:

1. What is a velocity vs time graph?

A velocity vs time graph is a visual representation of an object's velocity over a period of time. The graph plots velocity on the y-axis and time on the x-axis, showing how the velocity of the object changes over time.

2. How do I plot data on a velocity vs time graph?

To plot data on a velocity vs time graph, you will need to have data points for both velocity and time. You can then plot these points on the graph and connect them with a line to show the overall trend of the object's velocity.

3. Can the velocity vs time graph show changes in acceleration?

Yes, the velocity vs time graph can show changes in acceleration. This is represented by the slope of the line on the graph. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a slower acceleration.

4. How do I interpret the area under the velocity vs time graph?

The area under the velocity vs time graph represents the displacement of the object. This means that the larger the area under the graph, the greater the distance the object has traveled over the given time period.

5. What are some common mistakes when making a velocity vs time graph?

Some common mistakes when making a velocity vs time graph include not labeling the axes correctly, using incorrect units, and not plotting all of the data points accurately. It is important to carefully check your graph to ensure that it accurately represents the data and is easy to interpret.