Did I overload myself this quarter?

In summary, the speaker has taken 3 upper division courses and an introductory German course, totaling 16 units, while also being in the Army Reserves. They struggled to keep up with coursework and lost points on homework, but did well on some exams. They are considering taking 3 courses next quarter and whether or not to add on a research project. They are worried about not getting departmental honors if they take it slow. Since they won't have their summer free, any research experience would have to occur during the school year. The speaker is considering grad school, but only if they can get into a good program. The advice given is to think about their main objective for going to school and potentially slow down to focus on grades.
cryora
I took 3 upper divs this quarter (Analytical Mech, E&M, and Abstract Algebra) along with an introductory German course, which is a total of 16 units. It was tough trying to keep up, and I would spend long nights each on homework for one course then the same for another course evey week. I'm also in the Army Reserves, which takes up 1 weekend a month (about 4hrs a week if you distribute it evenly), plus more time for keeping myself in shape.

They say students usually take 15 units a quarter, though since most classes are 4 units, it's really either 12 or 16. I lost a lot of points on the homework sets for not completing everything, and did well on a couple exams, but not so well on others. I feel like I understand the gist of the material, but not confident enough to solve any problem on the spot.

I'm taking 3 courses next quarter and am wondering if I ought to focus on those rather than taking on anything extra (like a research project). The courses are Analytical Mech, E&M (both 2nd of the series) and Quantum Mech. I'm just worried that if I take it slow, I won't get departmental honors without having to spend extra quarter(s).

Since I'm in the Reserves, I won't have my Summer free this year, so likely any research experience I get before graduation is going to have to occur during the school year.

How would you advise? I am considering grad school, but only if I can get into a good program.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question I would ask myself if I were you is: what's my main objective here? Hopefully you're going to school for a purpose and not just because it's "the next step". Unfortunately, too many people go for exactly that reason and don't have a plan for what school is supposed to do for them (but then that's another topic altogether).

I think you have a lot on your plate and it might be better to slow down and get the grades you need if you're planning on grad school. Plus, research is great but it's not as good as, say, an internship or something where you can get practical work experience in your chosen field. Again, ask yourself what you're going to school for and then tailor your classes and extra activities like research or grad school to that.

1. Am I taking on too many classes this quarter?

It's important to consider not only the number of classes you are taking, but also the level of difficulty and workload for each class. It's possible to feel overloaded even with a smaller number of classes if they are particularly challenging.

2. How will I know if I have overloaded myself this quarter?

Signs of overload can include feeling constantly stressed, struggling to keep up with assignments, and experiencing a decline in academic performance. It's important to pay attention to these signs and make adjustments if needed.

3. What can I do if I realize I have overloaded myself this quarter?

If you realize you have taken on too much this quarter, it's important to prioritize your workload and possibly speak with your professors about any adjustments that can be made. It may also be helpful to seek support from academic advisors or counseling services.

4. Can overloading myself this quarter have long-term consequences?

While it's important to work hard and challenge yourself academically, consistently overloading yourself can lead to burnout, decreased motivation, and a decline in mental and physical health. It's important to find a balance and prioritize self-care.

5. How can I prevent overloading myself in the future?

To prevent overloading yourself in the future, it's important to carefully consider your course load and prioritize your responsibilities. It may also be helpful to communicate with your professors and advisors about your workload and seek support if needed.