Did I solve this correctly? (Calculating forces at rest)

• Thread starter PhyIsOhSoHard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces Rest
In summary: Putting the torque reference point where some lines of force intersect allows you to omit those. There are 5 such points here, but only two intersect at any point. Some are hard to locate, but the CoM is easy, and the perpendicular distances to the remaining two forces are easy.
PhyIsOhSoHard

Homework Statement

dXURK4v.gif

A beam (red line) has mass m and length L.
3 chains are attached to the beam to keep it at rest. C1 which is perpendicular to the roof, C2 which is perpendicular at the center of mass on the beam, and C3 which is perpendicular to the side wall.

Questions:
Draw a free body diagram.
Calculate the forces from the 3 chains.

Homework Equations

Newton's law, torque.

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD:
GKya3ke.gif

To find the forces from the 3 chains, I set up 3 equations. Using Newton's 1st law for forces on the x-axis and again Newton's 1st law for forces on the y-axis:

[itex]\rightarrow \sum F_x=0: C2 \cdot \cos \theta - C3=0[/itex]

[itex]\uparrow \sum F_y=0: C1 - C2 \cdot \sin \theta - mg=0[/itex]

For the 3rd equation, I use the torque on southern most point of the beam (where C3 is attached) Counter-clockwise:

[itex]C1 \cdot L \sin \theta - C2 \cdot \frac{L}{2}=0[/itex]

Now I have 3 equations which is enough to find the values for C1, C2, and C3.
What do you guys think of my method? Did I do this correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Resolving forces to horizontal and vertical can hide some subtleties.
Why did you choose that particular pivot point? Did you check the result against other pivot points?
Using that pivot - doesn't the weight also provide a torque?

I'd resolve the forces to those going through the com and those acting perpendicularly to the line joining their point of action and the center of mass ...

Simon Bridge said:
Resolving forces to horizontal and vertical can hide some subtleties.
Why did you choose that particular pivot point? Did you check the result against other pivot points?
Using that pivot - doesn't the weight also provide a torque?

I'd resolve the forces to those going through the com and those acting perpendicularly to the line joining their point of action and the center of mass ...

Oh yes, you're correct, I forgot about the weight in my torque equation.

I'm not really sure why I chose that pivot point. I always choose the point with most forces going through the point (to cancel them out since the "arm" between the force and the torque point becomes zero).

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the center of mass? Would you choose the center of the mass on the beam to be your torque point?

I guess that does make sense because we have 4 forces, C1, C2, C3, and the weight. Using a pivot point at the the center of mass will eliminate both C2 and the weight as opposed to only eliminating C3 in my previous attempt. Thus the torque equation when using the center of mass will only include C1 and C3. Would that be the best solution?

When you draw a free-body diagram, the body is drawn with no physical support and everything has to be modeled by forces. If you apply an arbitrary force to a free object, that object will generally accelerate as well as rotate. The point that it will naturally rotate about is the center of mass.

It is generally easier to exploit the symmetry of the problem where you can.
Stick a Cartesian coordinate system on the diagram - doesn't it seem "natural" to line the axes up with the rod and put the origin on the com?

Simon Bridge said:
When you draw a free-body diagram, the body is drawn with no physical support and everything has to be modeled by forces. If you apply an arbitrary force to a free object, that object will generally accelerate as well as rotate. The point that it will naturally rotate about is the center of mass.

It is generally easier to exploit the symmetry of the problem where you can.
Stick a Cartesian coordinate system on the diagram - doesn't it seem "natural" to line the axes up with the rod and put the origin on the com?

Why would you put the origin of the coordinate system at the com? I don't see how that would help. Why would the origin of the coordinate system matter?

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
Why would you put the origin of the coordinate system at the com? I don't see how that would help. Why would the origin of the coordinate system matter?
Putting the torque reference point where some lines of force intersect allows you to omit those. There are 5 such points here, but only two intersect at any point. Some are hard to locate, but the CoM is easy, and the perpendicular distances to the remaining two forces are easy.

PhyIsOhSoHard said:
Why would you put the origin of the coordinate system at the com?
Why would anyone not? I can tell from your approach to the problem above that you don't default to using symmetry when you do calculations. It can take a while to get this attitude. Most people seem to manage it by post-grad where it's pretty much all anyone talks about.

I don't see how that would help. Why would the origin of the coordinate system matter?
Try it and see for yourself ;)

Since there is no motion, there is no physical pivot. So you are free to sum the torques about any point, so you pick the point where the math is easiest. It's also good to pick the point where the physics is clearest - so it is easiest to troubleshoot when things go wrong and easiest to defend your work should it be challenged. You'll see what I mean when you try it - especially for more complicated problems.

However - you can get an inkling by comparing with the horizontal beam/distributed load problems - this is a generalization of those - where you usually need to sum the torques about several (usually two) potential pivot points to get the effect of the load at the supports.

Aligning the coordinate system with the beam simplifies the problem - you can put the origin anywhere along the beam you like - but, in general, more symmetry means easier maths.

Mind you - doing things just for the symmetry is not always optimal:
https://xkcd.com/403/

After a while you find that you can get a bit obsessive about symmetry and particularly structure:
http://cpsievert.github.io/projects/615/xkcd/

1. How do I know if my calculations for forces at rest are correct?

The best way to check if your calculations are correct is to double check your work and make sure you have included all the relevant forces in your calculation. You can also compare your answer to the known answer or use a calculator to confirm your result.

2. How do I find the forces at rest in a given scenario?

To find the forces at rest in a given scenario, you will need to identify all the forces acting on the object and determine the direction and magnitude of each force. Then, you can use the equations of Newton's laws of motion to calculate the net force acting on the object.

3. What are the common mistakes to avoid when calculating forces at rest?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating forces at rest include forgetting to include all the relevant forces, using incorrect units, and not considering the direction of the forces. It is also important to use the correct equations and plug in the correct values.

4. Is it necessary to use diagrams when calculating forces at rest?

While it is not necessary to use diagrams, they can be helpful in visualizing the forces acting on the object and determining their direction and magnitude. However, it is important to label the forces correctly and accurately represent their direction and magnitude.

5. Can forces at rest ever be equal to zero?

Yes, it is possible for the forces at rest to be equal to zero. This means that all the forces acting on the object are balanced and the object is in a state of equilibrium. In this case, the object will remain at rest or continue to move at a constant velocity.