Did my tutor give an incorect equation?

• Thread starter Salerk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tutor
In summary, the two FM radio stations have frequencies of 95.5 MHz and 102.7 MHz, respectively. The speed of radio waves is equal to the speed of light, which is approximately 3.0x10^8 m/s. To find the difference in wavelength between the two stations, the equation λ2-λ1=v/f2 - v/f1 is used, where v is the speed of light and f1 and f2 are the frequencies of the two stations. After correcting for a typo and using the correct value for the speed of light, the difference in wavelength is calculated to be approximately 0.22m.
Salerk

Homework Statement

An FM radio station generates radio waves that have a frequency of 95.5 MHz. The frequency of the waves from a competing station have a frequency of 102.7 MHz. What is the difference in wavelength between the waves emitted from the two stations?

f1= 95.5
f2=102.7

Homework Equations

From what I know

Speed = Frequency x wavelength (v=fλ)

I need to find out wavelength 2 - wavelength 1. This i understand no problem thing that's got me is the equation the tutor gave to work out the equation is...

λ2-λ1=v/f2 - v/f2 <-- Why would I be subtracting the same from the same the answer would be = to zero, would the equation not be...

λ2-λ1=v/f2 - v/f1

I love my physics classes but sadly our tutor 80% of the time runs out of time before he finishes the class but still tests us on the things he missed out (this being one of them) So, I am a little stuck from this point on since I am not sure what the speed would be, since we have not been told what it is nor how to find it out.

I tryed to look up the speed online and what I found (hopfully corect) is 343 m/s,

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt.

λ1-λ2=v/f1 - v/f2

343/95.5 = 3.59(2dp) - 343/102.7 = 3.34 (2dp)

= 3.59-3.34

=0.25m

Now, I am not sure if this is corect, since its actually a multi choice on the answer and the nearest answer is actually 0.22m (interactive test so told me that the right answer when expermented)

my main problem is where did I go wrong to get 0.25 where he got 0.22.

Anyone able to give me some help/advice on this?

thanks

Ritchie.

p.s. really sorry on spelling, can't attach my disleaxer form on here (smiles)

Physics news on Phys.org
You put in the speed of sound for the waves and dropped the M in MHz. Radio waves travel at the speed of light. Your tutors equation certainly does have a typo. Guess he has disleaxer...

1. Your take on the equation is correct.

2. Your Velocity is wrong. 343m/s looks like the spped of sound but radio waves travel at the speed of light 'C', find a value for 'C'.

3. Looking at your calculations you have applied the frequency incorrectly, this may have been because you were struggling with the wrong velocity and trying to get it to fit. What does the M represent in MHz?

p.s. Dyslexia didn't stop me once I left school, modern "speil chockers" are a god send.

f2 in both terms must've been a typo. It is v/f1 - v/f2, if you want the difference to be positive. Also, you're dealing with electromagnetic waves here, not sound. These are radio waves, which have the same speed as light.

Salerk said:
λ2-λ1=v/f2 - v/f2 <-- Why would I be subtracting the same from the same the answer would be = to zero, would the equation not be...

λ2-λ1=v/f2 - v/f1

You're right.

Salerk said:
I tryed to look up the speed online and what I found (hopfully corect) is 343 m/s

The radio waves, like any other electromagnetic waves travel at the speed of light.
The speed of light in the air is approximately the speed of light in the vacuum, which is 299,792,458 m/s

EDIT: crossposted with neutrino, Panda and Dick

Last edited:
My brain must be taking a small vacation on this one.

ok, the speed of light I knew, just did not realize they used same speed, should have most dence of me lol.

Anyways I've tryed to put the numbers in and its spiting out the wrong answer to what I am looking for, i account this to the M i droped as was mentioned, M = mega MHz megahertz (right?)

and that's em ?x10^6 I beleave. but I am not sure how to take this and add it into the equation to help if I am even right on this.

as for spell check, love it also, just the old computer I am useing at the moment does not have one working at the moment.

EDIT:

ok think i got it figured.

I see now where i was forgeting the M and have that figured and if I am right, and according to my calc I am only off by 0.01 and that I put down to useing 2.9x10^8 not 3.0x10^8.

Calculation:

2.9x10^8 / 95.5x10^6(to turn into that wonderfull M)
=3.0366

2.9x10^8 / 102.7x10^6
=2.8238

3.0366-2.8238

= 0.21m

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
Speed of light 299,792,458 approximates closer to 3.0x10^8 than 2.9x10^8. If you take out the rounding error you should get 0.22m

1. Why do I think my tutor gave an incorrect equation?

There could be multiple reasons for this. You may have noticed inconsistencies in the equation or it may not align with the problem you are trying to solve. It is also possible that the equation does not follow the standard rules and formulas for the specific topic.

2. How can I confirm if the equation given by my tutor is incorrect?

One way to confirm this is by double checking the equation with reliable sources such as textbooks or online resources. You can also consult with other peers or professors for their input on the equation.

3. What should I do if I find out that my tutor did give me an incorrect equation?

If you are certain that the equation given to you is incorrect, it is important to address this with your tutor. You can politely bring up your concerns and provide evidence to support your claim. This will allow your tutor to clarify any misunderstandings and correct the equation if necessary.

4. Will my tutor be upset if I question the accuracy of the equation given?

No, your tutor should not be upset if you question the accuracy of the equation. As a scientist, it is important to always question and verify information given to you. Your tutor should appreciate your critical thinking and willingness to learn.

5. Can I trust my tutor's equations in the future if I find out that one was incorrect?

Yes, you can still trust your tutor's equations in the future. It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes and your tutor is human too. As long as your tutor is open to discussing and correcting any errors, you can continue to rely on their guidance and expertise.