Did Paul Dirac say anything about Bohmian mechanics?

In summary, renowned physicist Paul Dirac did not publicly express his views on the de Broglie-Bohm theory (Bohmian mechanics), which is an interpretation of quantum mechanics. As a "no-nonsense physicist," he likely focused more on practical applications of his discipline rather than philosophical debates. However, it is possible that he and Bohm, who lived in the same country and may have known each other, discussed this topic in private.
SVN
Could you, please, give me reference to any paper or talk by Paul Dirac where he expresses his views about or give comments to the de Broglie-Bohm theory (Bohmian mechanics)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Did he ever express any view about any interpretation?

I'd be surprised. He is a role model of a "no-nonsense physicist".

Did not he?

I'm a bit (a lot, actually) puzzled. Dirac was one of the leading theorists of his time. Can it be that he refrained from meditation over the very essence and core question of his discipline?

Anyway, he and Bohm lived in the same country for many years. Probably, they knew each other personally, met on many occasions and had conversations (I am not familiar with their biographies, just guessing). Is there any chance they bypassed this topic in their discussions?

The very essence and core questions of physics are not interpretational issues on quantum mechanics, which are rather on the boarder between physics and philosophy. Dirac was pretty pragmatic about it and took the standard Copenhagen interpretation of his time (to my dismay I learned in another thread, he even subscribed to the collapse hypothesis :-().

Okay, got it. Thank you!

1. Did Paul Dirac believe in Bohmian mechanics?

No, Paul Dirac did not believe in Bohmian mechanics. He was a strong advocate for the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics.

2. Did Paul Dirac ever mention Bohmian mechanics in his work?

No, there is no record of Paul Dirac mentioning Bohmian mechanics in his work. He focused primarily on the development of quantum electrodynamics.

3. What was Paul Dirac's opinion on Bohmian mechanics?

Paul Dirac did not have a positive opinion on Bohmian mechanics. He believed that the theory was not consistent with the principles of quantum mechanics.

4. Did Paul Dirac have any interactions with David Bohm, the creator of Bohmian mechanics?

There is no evidence of Paul Dirac having any interactions with David Bohm. They both worked in the field of quantum mechanics, but their approaches and theories were vastly different.

5. Was Paul Dirac's work influenced by Bohmian mechanics in any way?

No, Paul Dirac's work was not influenced by Bohmian mechanics. He developed his own theories and approaches to quantum mechanics that were distinct from Bohmian mechanics.