Did Tesla and Newton Overlook Love for Genius?

In summary: I've been warned to not use that phrase) ...properties that make it impossible to predict everything. It's probabilistic. Despite it having a degree of reliability, a system as complex as a human being has some stochastic... (oops! I've been warned to not use that phrase) ...properties that make it impossible to predict everything.
Illuminerdi
-Or other extreme geniuses who never had time for women. Imagine if people like that just took a few minutes out of their lives to populate the earth.

Physics news on Phys.org
Like Michelangelo, they were deathly scared of women, never got the hang of talking to women, and thought women were alien life forms.

Michelangelo equated sex with death, sin, corruption. He also considered himself so ugly he didn't think any woman would want him. Newton probably never overcame his resentment of his mother for leaving him in foster care while she ran off to be with her new husband. He suspected most women were treacherous. Tesla had severe OCD and couldn't stand the sight of certain female ornaments like earrings and the buttons on their dresses. All were also obsessed with their work and never took a break long enough to get the hang of being social with women, which would have been a slow and arduous remedial endeavor in their cases.

Last edited:
zoobyshoe said:
Like Michelangelo, they were deathly scared of women, never got the hang of talking to women, and thought women were alien life forms.

Michelangelo equated sex with death, sin, corruption. He also considered himself so ugly he didn't think any woman would want him. Newton probably never overcame his resentment of his mother for leaving him in foster care while she ran off to be with her new husband. He suspected most women were treacherous. Tesla had severe OCD and couldn't stand the sight of certain female ornaments like earrings and the buttons on their dresses. All were also obsessed with their work and never took a break long enough to get the hang of being social with women, which would have been a slow and arduous remedial endeavor in their cases.

Talk about humorless responses.

Gnosis said:

I actually found that quite amusing. True, but amusing nonetheless. Newton was a raving Jes... (oops! I've been warned to not use that phrase) ...Christian fanatic. He probably would have made a mess in his pants if he'd seen a woman's elbow.
There's also the possibility that one or more of them were gay. Just because that was never referred to in those days doesn't mean that it didn't exist.

Gnosis said:
Well, I'll get right on it, then.
Illuminerdi said:
Imagine if people like that just took a few minutes out of their lives to populate the earth.
It's interesting you should raise this train of speculation because recently, when I was crawling on all fours through the streets of Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A, toward the mother of all strange deaths, I happened to consider that Edgar Allan Poe left no progeny, no child of his macabre loins, no spawn of his dark alcoholic meanderings in the gutters of that city, or any of the fine American cities he drank his way through, when, to my surprise, I encountered nothing less than the revenant of the great poe-et, himself, crawling in the other direction.

"What ho! Poe!" I hailed him.

"Hoobie Joobie, Zooby!" he replied.

"It rhymes," I said, "but it's not your best work."

"Shut up! Do you have any money?"

"No. I wanted to ask you why you never fornicated with about 3000 women in order to produce a mass of literary geniuses to help populate the earth."

"Why should I have?"

"Just askin'. Inquiring Illuminerdi want to know."

"Do they have any money?"

"Possibly. A few dollars."

"Tell them to paypal me. I'll answer as soon as it comes through. Gotta go."

Illuminerdi said:
-Or other extreme geniuses who never had time for women. Imagine if people like that just took a few minutes out of their lives to populate the earth.

They might not have had time to do all of the wonderful things they did in their respective fields if they were busy raising kids. Besides, the Earth is populated enough.

Just curious, why do you care whether or not long-dead strangers had kids?

Jack21222 said:
They might not have had time to do all of the wonderful things they did in their respective fields if they were busy raising kids. Besides, the Earth is populated enough.

Just curious, why do you care whether or not long-dead strangers had kids?

Eugenic fascination: In western societies, intelligent people are having less children on average and there are two very high profile examples of the most intelligent people having no children. Is Idiocracy true?

Illuminerdi said:
Eugenic fascination: In western societies, intelligent people are having less children on average and there are two very high profile examples of the most intelligent people having no children. Is Idiocracy true?
How do you explain geniuses born of average parents and average people born of geniuses?

Evo said:
How do you explain geniuses born of average parents and average people born of geniuses?

It's probabilistic. Despite it having a degree of reliability, a system as complex as a human being has some stochastic processes involved.

Illuminerdi said:
Is Idiocracy true?

idiocracy.png

From http://xkcd.com/603/

Related to Did Tesla and Newton Overlook Love for Genius?

1. What is the connection between Tesla and Newton?

Tesla and Newton are both famous scientists who made significant contributions to the fields of physics and mathematics. While they lived in different eras, both of their work laid the foundations for modern physics and continue to influence scientific discoveries today.

2. Did Tesla and Newton work together?

No, Tesla and Newton did not work together. Tesla lived in the 19th and early 20th century, while Newton lived in the 17th and 18th century. However, their work and theories have been studied and built upon by scientists throughout history.

3. How did Tesla and Newton impact the scientific world?

Tesla and Newton were both revolutionary thinkers in their time and their work has had a significant impact on the scientific world. Tesla's inventions and discoveries in electricity, magnetism, and wireless communication paved the way for modern technology, while Newton's laws of motion and theory of gravity laid the foundation for modern physics and astronomy.

4. What are some of Tesla and Newton's most famous contributions?

Tesla is known for his work on alternating current (AC) electricity, the Tesla coil, and the development of the radio. Newton is best known for his laws of motion and universal law of gravitation, which explained the movements of objects in the universe and laid the foundation for modern physics.

5. How do Tesla and Newton's theories and inventions continue to impact us today?

The work of Tesla and Newton has had a lasting impact on our daily lives. Many modern technologies, such as electricity, wireless communication, and space travel, are based on their theories and inventions. Their work also continues to be studied and built upon by scientists, leading to new discoveries and advancements in various fields.