Did you ever wake up and found you were unable to move?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Linda
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
34 replies · 25K views
LURCH said:
Owl, it is my understanding that most animals which "fake death" to confuse a predator are not making a conscious decision to lie still, but become paralyzed when threatened. A form of "fainting".
Ah really, I didn't know that :)
 
Biology news on Phys.org
The possum does it. I am not sure what else does.

From: A Moment of Science
"Possums are famous for "playing dead" when threatened, but this isn't quite accurate. They are not "playing" dead at all: the possum goes into shock when particularly stressed. While not dead, it can be found lying on its side with its legs extended and is, in fact, limp and unconscious during this time, like a person who has fainted."

From: America Zoo
"It is thought that the opossum actually goes into a deep sleep, so that even if an animal bites it, the opossum does not react at all. A great many predators do not eat dead animals, so they just walk away."
 
Last edited:
Nim said:
The possum does it. I am not sure what else does.

I've done it to get out of an exam once or twice. :smile:
 
Linda said:
That happened to me once, I was definitely awake but unable to move arms, legs, anything. It only lasted ever so briefly, but it was kind of scary. I've read that this happens to most people, but rarely.

Can anyone explain to me why this happens? Does it have something to do with why you twich a little sometimes when falling asleep (sometimes waking yourself up - very annoying)?

Maybe they are more, but this is by far the funniest thread I have ever read on this physics forum! Every posting just cracked me up...please keep it coming, guys! You've just made my day!
 
Omg I Just Did That Today!

i was on here looking up why that happened. i guess that's what i did was woke up to fast i walk in this dark room and i knew someone was going to hurt me but i went in anyway.(lol) and someone yelled from the back don't turn the lights on (too late) and i just woke up my eyes were fixed on the wall and i couldn't move and i couldn't talk, i got scared and then couldn't really catch my breath. it weirded me out so much. i need to get more sleep i guess.