1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Diff. eq. and boundary conditions

1. Sep 25, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi all.

I am given the following differential equation:

X'' - k*X=0.

I am told that k = -m^2, so the general solution is given by:

X = a*cos(m*x)+b*sin(m*x),

where a and b are constants. I am also given boundary conditions:

1) X(-Pi) = X(Pi)
    2) X'(-Pi) = X'(Pi).

To satisfy #1, m must be an integer. But in my book the author states that in order to satisfy #1 and #2, m must be a positive integer. But I don't understand why m must be positive, because cosine is even.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't know if you are reading that wrong or the author just said it wrong, but, as you say, m does not have to be a positive integer. But X= a cos(mx)+ b sin(mx)= a cos(-mx)+ (-b)sin(-mx) so changing m for -m just changes the sign on the constant b. We can always assume that m is non-negative, since -m would give nothing new, but cannot assume it is positive: taking m= 0 gives X(x)= a which certainly satisfies both differential equation and boundary conditions.

4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    The author says: "For k = -m^2, Nontrivial solutions arise only if m = n for n = 1, 2, 3, ..., and the corresponding solutions are therefore X = a*cos(m*x)+b*sin(m*x).".

I think the reason why we do not want n = 0 is so there are no trivial solutions, i.e. X = const.

5. Sep 25, 2008 #4
    Seems to me like an eigenvalue problem with periodic boundary condition.
    in this case -k is the eigenvalue, and because k<0, so the soultion
    [tex]
    X=a \cos(\sqrt{-k} \space x)+b \sin(\sqrt{-k} \space x)
    [/tex]

The periodic boundary condition (heat transfer on a circular ring as a physical example) requires a=\=0 and b=\=0 AND
    [tex]
    \begin{*align}
    sin (\sqrt{-k} \space \pi)=0
    \end{*align}
    [/tex]
    or
    [tex]
    \sqrt{-k} \space \pi =n \pi
    [/tex]

note that \sqrt{-k}>0 so n is positive integer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?