Heat Equation with Periodic Boundary Conditions

StretchySurface
Homework Statement:
Find General Solution of Heat Equation on a Ring.
Relevant Equations:
See below
I'm solving the heat equation on a ring of radius ##R##. The ring is parameterised by ##s##, the arc-length from the 3 o'clock position. Using separation of variables I have found the general solution to be:

$$U(s,t) = S(s)T(t) = (A\cos(\lambda s)+B\sin(\lambda s))*\exp(-\lambda^2 kt)$$.

Here is my confusion:
Periodicity demands that ##U(s',t) = U(s' + 2\pi R, t).## This means that
$$\cos(\lambda s') = cos(\lambda s' + \lambda*2\pi R)$.$

This finally gives condition that ##\lambda = k/R%## where ##k## is an integer. This is the correct answer as told by my professor/textbook.

However, periodicity can also demands ##U(s',t) = U(s' + 2\pi nR, t)##, i.e revolving around the ring ##n## complete times. But this leads to the condition ##2\pi \lambda nR = 2 \pi m## where ##m## and ##n## are arbitrary integers. This gives us ##\lambda = m/(nR)##. This doesn't seem to be the correct answer but I don't understand why and rational number divided by ##R## is not an eigenvalue.

Answers and Replies

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Something with a period of ##4\pi## does not necessarily satisfy the condition that ##f(\theta)=f(\theta+2\pi)## !

StretchySurface
Does that mean the following is untrue: We require ##U(s′,t)=U(s′+4πR,t)##?

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
It is a true statement, but:
It's a necessary but insufficient condition.

StretchySurface
Okay, so I don't really see the point you're trying to convey and how it relates to my question. Below, I'll write out a set steps in reasoning to see if you can pinpoint the error I'm making.

Let's only consider the case ##n = 2## i.e traveling around the ring twice.
Periodicity demands that ##U(s',t)=U(s'+4πR,t)##.
This means that ##2\lambda R = k##, for any integer ##k##.
Thus ##\lambda_{k} = k/(2R)## which includes some values not mentioned in the notes I'm working from.

BvU
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
some values not mentioned
Yes. And those do NOT satisfy the condition ##U(s′,t)=U(s′+2\pi R,t)##. Do you propose to drop that condition ?

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Put slightly differently, 2pi periodic functions are automatically 4pi periodic but 4pi periodic functions are not necessarily 2pi periodic.

StretchySurface
Ah okay, now I understand! Thank you very much!

dRic2
Gold Member
Btw if ##\lambda## is the inverse of a length, and ##k## is an integer (I suppose dimensionless), that exponential doesn't look good to me.

Edit: ok the ##k## in the exponential is the diffusion coefficient (I suppose)... my bad

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Btw if ##\lambda## is the inverse of a length, and ##k## is an integer (I suppose dimensionless), that exponential doesn't look good to me.

Edit: ok the ##k## in the exponential is the diffusion coefficient (I suppose)... my bad
I think you can be excused as the OP used ##k## both for the diffusion coefficient as well as an integer ... :wink:

Suggested for: Heat Equation with Periodic Boundary Conditions

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies