Diff Eq- Convolutions and state-free solution

• Thread starter giacomh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, a convolution in differential equations is a mathematical operation that involves integrating the product of two functions to calculate the output of a linear system. It is used to solve differential equations by converting them into integral equations and obtaining a state-free solution. State-variable solutions, which take into account initial conditions, are different from state-free solutions. Convolution cannot be used for nonlinear systems, but it has many real-world applications such as signal processing, image filtering, and solving differential equations in various fields.
giacomh

Homework Statement

Find the state-free solution

yii+4yi+29y=0
y2+4y+29=f(t)

Homework Equations

I know I have to find the impulse-response, e(t), which is 1/5e^-2t sin(5t).

The Attempt at a Solution

The state-free solutions is the convolution of e and f(t). This is the part I'm confused about, because there is only one example given in my book. Do I integrate the product of e(t-u) and f(u)?
1/5e-2t sin(5t)*y2 +4y2 +29y

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What's f(t)? It seems to appear out of nowhere.

sorry, f(t) is y2+4y+29

1. What is a convolution in differential equations?

A convolution in differential equations is a mathematical operation used to calculate the output of a linear system when the input is known. It involves integrating the product of two functions, one representing the input and the other representing the system's response to that input.

2. How is a convolution used to solve differential equations?

A convolution is used to solve differential equations by converting the original differential equation into an integral equation, which can then be solved using the convolution operation. The solution obtained using this method is called the state-free solution.

3. What is the difference between state-free and state-variable solutions?

A state-free solution is obtained using the convolution operation and does not depend on any initial conditions, while a state-variable solution is obtained by solving the original differential equation using initial conditions. State-variable solutions take into account the system's current state, while state-free solutions do not.

4. Can convolutions be used for nonlinear systems?

No, convolutions can only be used for linear systems. Nonlinear systems require different methods for solving differential equations.

5. How can convolutions be applied in real-world situations?

Convolutions have many real-world applications, such as in signal processing, image filtering, and solving differential equations in physics and engineering. They are also used in financial modeling and analyzing time series data.