Finding inverse of a Laplace transform by convolution

In summary, the conversation is discussing finding the inverse Laplace transform of a given function using the convolution theorem. One method involves finding the inverse of each function separately, while the other involves using partial fractions. The question at hand is whether the integral of e^(-(t-τ))*cos(tau) is equal to (1/5)(cos(2t)-e^-t+2sin(2t)).
Pouyan

Homework Statement

find the inverse Laplace transform of the given function by
using the convolution theorem

Homework Equations

F(s) = s/((s+1)(s2)+4)

The theorem : Lap{(f*g)(t)} = F(s)*G(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find it the answer is :
we have 1/(s+1) * s/(s+4) and the inverse of each of these functions are : e-t * cos(2t)
further the answer is : ∫(e(-(t-τ))*cos(τ)dτ)
But if I try to solve this problem without convolution theorem; and with partial fraction I get :

s/((s+1)(s2+4)) = (1/5) ( (1/(s+1) + s/(s2+4) + 4/(s2+4) )

and the inverse of this function is :

(1/5) (cos(2t) - e-t +2sin(2t))

MY QUESTION IS :

∫(e(-(t-τ))*cos(τ)dτ) = (1/5) (cos(2t) - e-t +2sin(2t)) is this right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pouyan said:

Homework Statement

find the inverse Laplace transform of the given function by
using the convolution theorem

Homework Equations

F(s) = s/((s+1)(s2)+4)

The theorem : Lap{(f*g)(t)} = F(s)*G(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to find it the answer is :
we have 1/(s+1) * s/(s+4) and the inverse of each of these functions are : e-t * cos(2t)
further the answer is : ∫(e(-(t-τ))*cos(τ)dτ)
But if I try to solve this problem without convolution theorem; and with partial fraction I get :

s/((s+1)(s2+4)) = (1/5) ( (1/(s+1) + s/(s2+4) + 4/(s2+4) )

and the inverse of this function is :

(1/5) (cos(2t) - e-t +2sin(2t))

MY QUESTION IS :

∫(e(-(t-τ))*cos(τ)dτ) = (1/5) (cos(2t) - e-t +2sin(2t)) is this right ?

What you wrote is not the convolution; the convolution is a definite integral, and you wrote an indefinite integral. In this method especially, limits are crucial.

Anyway, in your integral you should have ##\cos(2 \tau) \, d \tau##, not ##\cos(\tau) \, d \tau##.

After fixing things up, you will be able to answer your own question, by either (i) doing the integral; or (ii) differentiating both sides to see if the derivatives match.

What is an inverse Laplace transform?

An inverse Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the frequency domain and converts it into a function in the time domain. It is used to solve differential equations and analyze dynamic systems.

What is the convolution method for finding the inverse Laplace transform?

The convolution method for finding the inverse Laplace transform involves using the convolution integral to rewrite the Laplace transform of a function as a product of two functions. One of these functions is the inverse Laplace transform of the original function, which can then be solved using standard techniques.

What are the steps for finding the inverse Laplace transform using convolution?

The steps for finding the inverse Laplace transform using convolution are as follows:

1. Take the Laplace transform of the given function.
  2. Split the transformed function into two simpler functions using partial fraction decomposition.
  3. Use the convolution integral to rewrite the Laplace transform as a product of the two simpler functions.
  4. Find the inverse Laplace transform of one of the simpler functions using standard techniques.
  5. Solve for the inverse Laplace transform of the original function by setting the two simpler functions equal to each other.

What types of functions can be solved using the convolution method for inverse Laplace transforms?

The convolution method for finding inverse Laplace transforms is most commonly used for functions that can be expressed as a product of simpler functions, such as rational functions. It can also be used for functions with exponential or trigonometric terms.

What is the advantage of using the convolution method for finding inverse Laplace transforms?

The convolution method for finding inverse Laplace transforms allows for a systematic approach to solving differential equations and analyzing dynamic systems. It also allows for the transformation of complex functions into simpler, more manageable forms. Additionally, it is a powerful tool for solving a wide range of problems in engineering, physics, and other fields.