Showing that some functions are solutions to a diff eq.

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that two functions, y1(t) and y2(t), are solutions to a specific differential equation. The individual is asking for clarification on how to prove this and shares their attempt at the solution. They then realize that taking the derivative of the solutions and plugging them into the differential equation results in the same answer, providing evidence that they are indeed solutions. However, the expert suggests providing a complete problem statement and work for a more accurate response.
Duderonimous

Homework Statement

Show that y1(t) and y2(t) are solutions to a certain differential equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plug both of these into my diff. eq. and I got the same thing. How is this showing that they are solutions to a diff. eq.? What if I got a different answer when I plugged in each function, what would that mean?

I omitted the details because I thought this ws more of a concept question. THanks

I think I answered my own question, I took the derivative of the solns and they equaled what I got when I plugged the solns into the diff. eq. :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are asking a very general question. Why don't you provide a complete problem statement along with your work?

Duderonimous said:

Homework Statement

Show that y1(t) and y2(t) are solutions to a certain differential equation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I plug both of these into my diff. eq. and I got the same thing.
What do you mean by "got the same thing". The question is whether the two functions separately satisfy the differential equation. When you put y1 into the equation are both sides the same?

How is this showing that they are solutions to a diff. eq.? What if I got a different answer when I plugged in each function, what would that mean?

I omitted the details because I thought this ws more of a concept question. THanks

I think I answered my own question, I took the derivative of the solns and they equaled what I got when I plugged the solns into the diff. eq. :)

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with one or more of its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change.

2. How do you show that a function is a solution to a differential equation?

To show that a function is a solution to a differential equation, you must substitute the function and its derivatives into the equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If the equation is satisfied, then the function is a solution to the differential equation.

3. What is the process for solving a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done through various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using an integrating factor.

4. Can a function have multiple solutions to a differential equation?

Yes, a function can have multiple solutions to a differential equation. This is because a differential equation is a relationship between a function and its derivatives, so there can be multiple functions that satisfy the equation.

5. What is the importance of finding solutions to differential equations?

Finding solutions to differential equations is important in many fields of science and engineering. They can be used to model and predict the behavior of systems, such as in physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. They also have applications in various technologies, such as in designing circuits and control systems.