Diff Eq problem, finding the small value and large value of k?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding two values of k for which the function y(x) = e^(kx) is a solution of the given differential equation, and the systematic way of solving for these values using the quadratic formula. The smaller value of k is 6 and the larger value is 10.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone I'm lost on how they want me to approach this:
Find the two values of k for which
y(x) = e^{kx}
is a solution of the differential equation
y'' - 16 y' + 60 y = 0.

smaller value =?
larger value = ?

I did the following:
y(x) = e^(kx);
y' = ke^(kx);
y'' = k^2e^(kx);

(k^2e^(kx)) - 16(ke^(kx)) + 60(e^(kx)) = 0;
is there a sysematic way to solve this problem rather then just trying to randomly guess numbers? i tried the randomly guessing k values and it isn't working out :bugeye:

Any help would be great!
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
so you have:
(k^2e^(kx)) - 16(ke^(kx)) + 60(e^(kx)) = 0
or slightly rewriten
(k^2 - 16k + 60) e^(kx) = 0
then since e^(kx) is never 0

k^2 - 16k + 60 = 0

I believe there might be some sort of systematic
way to figure out what k is. i seem to remember
some sort of an algebraic formula...

Thanks again qbert! worked out great! good old quadratic formula!
low = 6, high = 10.

qbert said:
I believe there might be some sort of systematic
way to figure out what k is. i seem to remember
some sort of an algebraic formula...

:rofl: good one. Yeah, just solve for k. Once you take the derivatives and plug them in. the rest is just algebra.

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation problem?

A differential equation problem is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is commonly used to model dynamic systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How do you find the small value of k in a differential equation problem?

To find the small value of k in a differential equation problem, you can use numerical methods such as the Euler method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve approximating the solution by taking smaller and smaller time steps.

3. How do you find the large value of k in a differential equation problem?

The large value of k in a differential equation problem can be found by using analytical methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or series solutions. These methods involve solving the equation algebraically to find the exact solution.

4. Why is it important to find both the small and large values of k in a differential equation problem?

Finding both the small and large values of k in a differential equation problem is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of the system over different time scales. The small value of k represents short-term behavior, while the large value of k represents long-term behavior.

5. What are some real-life applications of differential equation problems?

Differential equation problems have many real-life applications, including modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, designing electrical circuits, and understanding chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as economics, medicine, and biology to model various dynamic systems.