Diff eqs with eigenvectors: double roots, but 2nd eigenvector?

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving (b) using the given imgur links. The problem involves a double root for the eigenvalues of the A matrix, leading to the need for a second eigenvector in the solution. Different approaches are discussed, including finding the powers of A, using the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, and finding Jordan chains. The conversation ends with a clarification on the use of multiple solutions for the generalized eigenvectors.
kostoglotov
The problem is here, I'm trying to solve (b):

ifVm57o.jpg

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/ifVm57o.jpg

and the text solution is here:

qxPuMpu.png

imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/qxPuMpu.pngI understand why there is a term in there with [itex]cte^t[/itex], it's because the A matrix has double roots for the eigenvalues. What I don't understand is where the (apparent) second eigenvector, [itex]
\begin{bmatrix}1\\ t\end{bmatrix}[/itex] is coming from?

I gave my answer as [itex]\vec{u} = \begin{bmatrix}4\\ 2\end{bmatrix} + c_1e^t\begin{bmatrix}0\\ 1\end{bmatrix}+c_2te^t\begin{bmatrix}0\\ 1\end{bmatrix}[/itex].

This answer works, but so does the text answer, and it is more complete. But where did that second distinct eigenvector come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
It comes from ##A_{21} = 1## and the exponential function but I don't know how to put it correctly. Too long ago.

kostoglotov said:
This answer works, but so does the text answer, and it is more complete. But where did that second distinct eigenvector come from?
You have a double eigenvalue ##\lambda = 1## with geometric multiplicity one, giving you one eigenvector ##v_1 = (0,1)##, and algebraic multiplicity two. So, in order to span the generalised eigenspace corresponding to ##\lambda## (which is just ##\mathbb{R}^2##) you need a generalised eigenvector ##v_2##, which you can obtain by solving
$$
Av_2 = \lambda v_2 + v_1
$$
(The sequence ##\{v_1,v_2\}## is called a Jordan chain corresponding to ##\lambda## and ##v_1##.) Then the solution to the homogeneous system is
$$
u_n(t) = c_1 e^{\lambda t}v_1 + c_2 t e^{\lambda t}v_2
$$
You can see that your own solution is not the most general one, because at time ##t = 0## you cannot satisfy an arbitrary initial condition. (In fact, as you can see you can only satisfy initial conditions ##u_0## for which ##u_0 - (4,2)## is in the span of ##(0,1)##.) This is because ##v_1## by itself does not span the generalised eigenspace.

Likes kostoglotov
A different approach from the one Krylov took...
Since it is straightforward to get a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous problem, let's look only at the homogeneous system:
##\vec{u}' = A\vec{u}##
This system has a solution ##\vec{u} = e^{At}C##, where C is a column matrix of coefficients that depend on initial conditions.

To calculate ##e^{At}##, we'll need to calculate the various powers of A.
##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
##A^2 = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 2 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
##A^3 = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 3 & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
In general, ##A^n = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ n & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
If necessary, this last statement is easy to prove.

##e^{At} = I + At + \frac{A^2t^2}{2!} + \dots + \frac{A^nt^n}{n!} + \dots##
##= \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} + t\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1 \end{bmatrix} + \frac{t^2}{2!}\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 2 & 1 \end{bmatrix} + \dots + \frac{t^n}{n!}\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ n & 1 \end{bmatrix} + \dots##
##= \begin{bmatrix} 1 + t + \frac{t^2}{2!} + \dots + \frac{t^n}{n!} + \dots & 0 \\ 0 + t + \frac{2t^2}{2!} + \dots + \frac{nt^n}{n!} + \dots & 1 + t + \frac{t^2}{2!} + \dots + \frac{t^n}{n!} + \dots \end{bmatrix}##
##= \begin{bmatrix} e^t & 0 \\ te^t & e^t \end{bmatrix}##
##= e^t\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ t & 1 \end{bmatrix}##
In the matrix a couple of lines up, the expression in the lower left corner is just tet.

So the solution to the homogeneous problem, ##u_h(t)##, is ##u_h(t) = e^t\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ t & 1 \end{bmatrix}C##,
or, ##u_h(t) = c_1e^t\begin{bmatrix} 1 \\ t \end{bmatrix} + c_2e^t\begin{bmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{bmatrix}##
In this last form, the two linearly independent eigenvectors are shown.

Likes kostoglotov
Krylov said:
Then the solution to the homogeneous system is
$$
u_n(t) = c_1 e^{\lambda t}v_1 + c_2 t e^{\lambda t}v_2 \qquad (*)
$$
Mark44 made me realize that I made a mistake in this line yesterday, my apologies. The method is fine, though. From the Jordan chain you build the correct solution to the homogeneous equation as
$$
u_n(t) = c_1e^{\lambda t}v_1 + c_2e^{\lambda t}(v_2 + t v_1)
$$
I'm sorry for any confusion that I may have caused.

To make you see the pattern of constructing solutions using Jordan chains more clearly, I will add one example. Suppose you have the homogeneous ##3 \times 3## system corresponding to the matrix
$$
A =
\begin{bmatrix}
1& 0& 0\\
1& 1& 0\\
1& 1& 1
\end{bmatrix}
$$
You can check that ##\lambda = 1## is a triple eigenvalue of geometric multiplicity one. The lone eigenvector is given by ##v_1 = (0,0,1)##. To get the first generalised eigenvector, solve
$$
A v_2 = \lambda v_2 + v_1
$$
to obtain ##v_2 = (0,1,0)##. Similarly, to get the second generalised eigenvector, solve
$$
A v_3 = \lambda v_3 + v_2
$$
to obtain ##v_3 = (1, -1, 0)##. (There is not really a need for Gaussian elimination for these systems: you can find the solutions by inspection.) Then construct the solution as
$$
u_h(t) = c_1 e^{\lambda t} v_1 + c_2 e^{\lambda t}\Bigl(v_2 + \frac{t}{1!}v_1\Bigr) + c_3 e^{\lambda t}\Bigl(v_3 + \frac{t}{1!} v_2 + \frac{t^2}{2!}v_1\Bigr)
$$
where the ##c_i## are constants determined by your initial condition.

In my opinion, taking the matrix exponential directly (as in @Mark44 's post) is faster when it is easy to spot a general formula for the powers of ##A##. This is not always the case, in which instance you can rely on computing Jordan chains.

Likes kostoglotov
In addition to the technique of calculating ##e^{At}## using powers of A, there's another technique that uses the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, which says that every matrix is a root of its characteristic equation. This technique appears in a Linear Algebra textbook I've hung onto, "Linear Algebra and Differential Equations," by Charles G. Cullen. Cullen's explanation isn't clear to me, so when I figure out what he's doing, I'll post an explanation using that technique.

Likes kostoglotov
Krylov said:
you can find the solutions by inspection.

But by inspection you can see that there are multiple solutions to those equations for the generalized eigenvectors. [itex](0,1,1)[/itex] would work just as well to solve [itex](A-\lambda I)v_2 = v_1[/itex].

So here's the other method I mentioned in my previous post. The technique is presented in "Linear Algebra and Differential Equations," by Charles G. Cullen.

We're solving the DE ##\frac{d \vec{u}}{dt} = A \vec{u}##, or ##(D - A)\vec{u} = 0##, for which the solution is ##\vec{u} = e^{At}C##, where A and C are matrices.
For the problem at hand, ##A = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 1 & 1\end{bmatrix}##

As was already mentioned in this thread, the matrix A has only one eigenvalue: ##\lambda = 1##.
The characteristic polynomial for the matrix is ##c(x) = (x = 1)^2 = x^2 - 2x + 1##, which is found by evaluating det(##\lambda##I - A).

For a diff. equation ##(D - 1)^2y = 0##, we would expect a solution of the form ##y = c_1 e^t + c_2te^t##.

Per a theorem by Ziebur, cited on page 307 of this textbook, "Every entry of ##e^{At}## is a solution of the nth-order equation c(D)y = 0, where c(x) = det(xI - A) is the characteristic polynomial of A."

That is, ##e^{At} = E_1e^t + E_2te^t##, where ##E_1## and ##E_2## are matrices of constants.

At t = 0, the equation above results in ##I = E_1##
Differentiating the equation above results in ##Ae^{At} = E_1e^t + E_2e^t + E_2te^t##
At t = 0, we have ##A = E_1 + E2##

Substituting I for ##E_1## and solving the second equation, we have ##E_2 = A - I = \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}##

Therefore, ##e^{At} = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{bmatrix}e^t + \begin{bmatrix} 0 & 0 \\ 1 & 0\end{bmatrix}te^t##
##= \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 \\ t & 1\end{bmatrix}e^t = e^{At}##
Note that the columns of this last matrix hold the two linearly independent eigenvectors.

Last edited:
kostoglotov said:
But by inspection you can see that there are multiple solutions to those equations for the generalized eigenvectors ##(0,1,1)## would work just as well to solve ##(A-\lambda I)v_2 = v_1##.
True, you could equally well work with that choice for ##v_2##, but for the same initial condition ##u_0## as before the arbitrary coefficients ##c_i## would then be different and you would end up with exactly the same solution ##u_h## satisfying ##u_h(0) = u_0##.

(Note that once you make a different choice for ##v_2##, your solution for ##v_3## will also change.)

Last edited:
Likes kostoglotov

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are important concepts in linear algebra that are used to solve systems of differential equations. Eigenvalues represent the scalars that are associated with a specific eigenvector, and they can be used to solve for the values of the system at a given point in time.

2. What are double roots in differential equations?

Double roots in differential equations occur when the characteristic equation has repeated roots, meaning that the solutions to the equation are not distinct. This can happen when there is a repeated eigenvalue in the system, which can result in a more complicated solution.

3. How do you find the eigenvectors for a system with double roots?

To find the eigenvectors for a system with double roots, you can use a process called diagonalization. This involves finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors, and then using them to create a diagonal matrix which can then be used to solve the system of equations.

4. Can double roots in a system of differential equations cause instability?

Yes, double roots in a system of differential equations can cause instability. This is because they can result in a loss of information and make it difficult to predict the behavior of the system. It is important to carefully consider the impact of double roots when solving differential equations.

5. Are there any special techniques for solving systems with double roots?

Yes, there are special techniques for solving systems with double roots. One technique is using the method of undetermined coefficients, which involves finding a particular solution to the system based on the form of the non-homogeneous term. Another technique is using variation of parameters, which involves finding a solution that is a combination of the known solutions to the system.